Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gentle Typhoon AP-15's are surprisingly quiet for the amount of air they push. They are still audible though. I've heard nothing but good about noctuas.

Personally am not a fan of the H100.
Old June 17, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you think your current setup is loud, the 1850 Scythe GT's aren't going to be much better at full RPM. You generally can't get silent operation out of 120mm fans unless they're running at lower than ~1000 rpm. Water cooling generally can't be considered silent either, (especially sealed kits) just very high performance and very quiet.

I would undervolt your current fans first, as they aren't that bad for quiet heatsink operation at low speeds. See if you can keep the temps under control at an acceptable noise level. I would also suggest looking for advice on a forum like SPCR, since they're actually silence oriented.
Old June 17, 2012, 06:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If you think your current setup is loud, the 1850 Scythe GT's aren't going to be much better at full RPM. You generally can't get silent operation out of 120mm fans unless they're running at lower than ~1000 rpm. Water cooling generally can't be considered silent either, (especially sealed kits) just very high performance and very quiet.

I would undervolt your current fans first, as they aren't that bad for quiet heatsink operation at low speeds. See if you can keep the temps under control at an acceptable noise level. I would also suggest looking for advice on a forum like SPCR, since they're actually silence oriented.
how do i undervolt them?
and silence isn't a must, quiet is though.

Last edited by jiepo; June 17, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old June 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiepo View Post
how do i undervolt them?
and silence isn't a must, quiet is though.
Lots of ways to do it, but it appears you have a current gen Asus board. (from what I can see in the fuzzy picture) I would suggest using their fan control feature as the latest iteration is very good. (probably the best on the market ATM) I believe it's called Fan Xpert, it's quite easy to use and if you feel disoriented there's lots of video/written guides circulating around already. (Google )
Old June 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
Rookie

i have a p8z68-v pro/gen3

i have fan expert, but none of my fans are PWM :(

might pick up the same fans i have now, but the PWM versions

edit: turns out it wasn't my cpu cooler fans making the noise, it was my gpu.
i turned the fans down to 40% on the gpu and it is nearly silent

Last edited by jiepo; June 17, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:33 AM
Allstar

May be considered rude, mentioning another forum, and if so my apologies, but if you want lots of information on quiet PC's you might have a look at silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers. Tons of information on quieting and silencing PC's.
Old June 18, 2012, 06:38 PM
Rookie

i made my computer near silent now, but now theres another problem, my gpu makes clicking sounds at 60-80% fan speeds which is really annoying
Old June 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Oooh that gpu looks familiar. The max I evér ran it was at 70 percent and no isses! It has 3 fans, whÉn u boot up your pc, it will sound like jet engine which i§ normal! Do u havé both §crews in tight that hold the card? Also download msi afterburner and make a fan profile. I had it at 30 percent at 25 degrees to 100 pÉrcent at 80 degrees! And u will never reach that high!
Old June 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
Rookie

i wonder where i got it from :P

yeah im on afterburner and i screwed everything in tightly.
i have the fan curve thing all set-up but when it hits around 60% it starts making a clicking sound and no wires are caught by the fans =/

i made a video and im uploading it right now

Last edited by jiepo; June 18, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
Rookie

gpu clicking - YouTube

sorry for double post, but you can hear that it starts clicking above 60%