Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 01:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default NZXT phantom 200mm

Hey guys so I have an nzxt phantom case and want to add a fan to the side. NZXT has these awesome airflow jet engines for 200mm fans and I was thinking about getting them. On newegg they only have like 3 stars and lots of complaints of a grinding noise. Sometimes it goes away sometimes it does not. here it is.
Newegg.com - NZXT FN-200RB 200mm Case Fan
or the lower airflow quieter fans that I have 2 now and havent had a problem.
Newegg.com - NZXT FS-200RB-BLED 200mm SILENT Blue LED Fan with ON/OFF Switch

Noise is not a huge issue for me like it is others. I am goign to put either one of these on the side panel of the case to cool my gpu. If anyone knows anyone who have these ( the 166 cfm ones) or own some please comment. Only nzxt fans fit in the nzxt case so these are my only options.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:52 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Hi ravenger,

I know that there were some issues with early 200mm fans, and ours were a bit different as the time we released them, there wasn't really an industry standard on mounting them. That is changing in future case and fan revisions to ensure that all 200mm fans will fit in the chassis.

Some people have reported that a little sewing machine oil fixes that grinding/clicking noises. It may just be that they weren't lubricated enough.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:01 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

if you have your LED's on the entire time (even at night when you're sleeping) then i would probably go with the ones you already have, since you already have two and know they're reliable. if noise isn't an issue for you, i'd try the white one :) my only gripe would be that it might be an eyesore if you have a non-white case/interior...