Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

Default Exhaust fan dying?

I think my exhaust fan has bit the dust or the biscuit. :) It's a 120mm.

It just started making a really annoying noise... It's a stock Antec fan. I am wondering if lowering the speed will help.

How do I tell what speed it's going at? What software do I need to run? I was just curious.

I guess I should replace it ASAP? What's a good replacement. I have a couple of extra fans, one is a Yate Loon D12BL-12 but would that be good enough? I think I might be better off with a certain fan for the exhaust right since it has to pull the air flow out or?

Hope I can get some advice here.

P.S. The noise is really BAD!!!!!!!! :-/
Old April 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Stick the Yate in there. Once they make noise they are done
Old April 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Like enaberif said it is to late to save, future reference though, lift the sticker a couple times a year and put 1 drop of thin oil (sewing machine, all purpose) on the bearing, I have some 7+ year old fans that work like new still, oil FTW.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Stick the Yate in there. Once they make noise they are done
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Like enaberif said it is to late to save, future reference though, lift the sticker a couple times a year and put 1 drop of thin oil (sewing machine, all purpose) on the bearing, I have some 7+ year old fans that work like new still, oil FTW.
Thank for the reply, to you both! :)

Thanks for that info. So, like this, right?:

Fan maintenance - oiling bearings for fun and profit!

So, the Yate Loon has enough cfm and static pressure to be used for an exhaust fan?

Note, I also found that the Antec fan has a 3-speed controller attached so I believe it was set at full speed. I 'moved' the switch and tested it (with it out of the mounted spot) and it wasn't making noise.

My temps (cpu) showed 50C though.

The fan is done, though, if it can't operate at full speed without rattling and making noise.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Thanks for this info. It's good to know.

I finally replaced the fan. I would like to know which each fan is doing, the rpm and cooling delivered etc.

How do I do that?

I guess a fan controller? I found the cheapest ones to be about $30. Well, it's with LED.

Scythe Kaze Master Pro KM03-BK - $35.

Is that a good choice? Or should I ask, is it worth it? There's different model #s so what's the difference?

EDIT: I tried running Speedfan. I have this:

Sys Fan: 2033 RPM
CPU0 Fan: 2009 "
Aux Fan: 3041 "
Aux1 Fan: 1534 "
Aux2 Fan: 0 "
" = RPM
I'm not sure what those mean or which fans they are indicating and why is one '0' and how do I figure out which? :)

Last edited by fubar; April 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old April 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
Thanks for this info. It's good to know.

I finally replaced the fan. I would like to know which each fan is doing, the rpm and cooling delivered etc.

How do I do that?

I guess a fan controller? I found the cheapest ones to be about $30. Well, it's with LED.

Scythe Kaze Master Pro KM03-BK - $35.

Is that a good choice? Or should I ask, is it worth it? There's different model #s so what's the difference?

EDIT: I tried running Speedfan. I have this:

Sys Fan: 2033 RPM
CPU0 Fan: 2009 "
Aux Fan: 3041 "
Aux1 Fan: 1534 "
Aux2 Fan: 0 "
" = RPM
I'm not sure what those mean or which fans they are indicating and why is one '0' and how do I figure out which? :)
So far I haven't heard any major problems with the Scythe controllers and they will most likely be much more accurate than most software readings. If you're wanting a quiet system while you're not gaming/doing intensive computer work a fan controller is def worth it.

As for the speed fan readings you'll have to test which fans they are by unplugging them. Obviously CPU0 is the cpu fan and Sys should be the fan header closest to the rear exhaust fan. The others you're just gonna have to test and as for the "0" reading it just means you have one unused fan header or it's a sensor error.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.