Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default haf 922 airflow question

okay so i got a quick question, i have a cooler master haf 922 case, and the question is about the airflow of the case what would be best. what i have is a 200mm fan up front, 2 120 mm on the side panel and 2 120mm fans on the top, and 1 120mm on the back.

which should be the exhaust, i know the back 120 should but should the top or side be better for the other exhaust??

and help would be nice
Old February 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Usually better to exhaust out the top and rear and pull cool air in through the side over your graphics cards.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Top should be exhaust, side intake, will help feel cool air to graphics and cpu, and warm air rises. I've mounted my second 200mm on the side of my 922 since it looks like sleeve bearing, I don't want to wear it out running flat :)
Old February 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

front and sides in top exhaust or intake or rear exhaust or intake. It really depends on the cooler you are using, but generally you want airflow to be as smooth as possible without any sharp bends in the air that would be blowing in, that and you want more are in, then out(basically force heat and dust to leave asap as it promotes less "dead" air)

I would either have one fan on top near the front of the cpu cooler blowing in and the other on top the other way so it acts like a circle of air promoting kind of a convective airflow and using the rear as exhaust or have rear pushing in with both top fans acting exaust or 1 near fronts acting exhuast and the other not there/blocked off, this way here cpu cooler can have its airflow reversed to best use the air coming in the back, blows over cpu and out the front top fan.

simply put, something to try, either way, more fans does not equal better. my old coolermaster case had dual fans in front dual side dual top and one rear, and it was MUCH hotter then my raven 3 which uses single front single back dual bottom as intakes one top and one right side as exhausts.

If your gpus blow thier heat into the case, the other option you have is basically let the front push air in, sides suck air out top push air in back push air out, or same but back air in top air out, basically sectioning the case to take care of the heat producing parts directly with next to no bending and such needed(in this regard you can make an air "funnel" for the gpu part to better accomplish this and same for cpu part)
Old February 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Usually better to exhaust out the top and rear and pull cool air in through the side over your graphics cards.
+1 to this comment ^
Old February 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yea thats what i ended up doing, i have 200m up front blowing in and the 2 120mm on the side panel blowing in. then the top 2 120mm blowing out and the back 120mm blowing out,

on the bright side my temps have lowered 2degress so far,

is 74 degrees Fahrenheit pretty good on just air?
Old February 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Do you mean 74 degrees Celsius? Because 74F is only 23C which if at full load you'd be at some pretty cold ambient temps. Temps also depends on the type of air cooler you have because each one has it's own performance.

Also I forgot to mention before you'll want to match the fan exhausting the hot air from your cpu cooler with the ones on it. Let's say you have a 212 Evo with 2000rpm fans on it. You'll want to get equivalent or faster fan for exhaust directly after because if you have a slow low cfm fan lets say an 800rpm fan the excess airflow from the fans on your cooler will be pumped out into your case causing higher temps on everything.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.

Last edited by Silent_Avenger; February 27, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

under load its sitting around 96f and idle its 72-74f but my room is also 55f atm lol.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Under load you are getting 96F...about 36C? I'd say you are getting some pretty decent temperatures on your cooling. It helps that your ambient is so cool. Are you running stock or do you have it OC'd?
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

its all stock clock im running a cooler master tx3 with a push pull configuration setup on it,
and yes Perry about 36-37C