Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2012, 06:02 AM
Rookie

Default [Solved] Automatic fan controller?

Hello, I'm upgrading for a more silent rig soon and I was looking at the mCubed T-Balancer BigNG that we saw in one of your videos. I did some research on it on the web, but most of the postings about it were outdated (2006), I was just wondering if there's been any improvement and what you would have bought today? Would you still buy the T-Balancer BigNG?
Another member mentioned Koolance TMS 205 is this a good choice over the T-Balancer?

Thank you.

PS: My basic needs are to monitor 5 fans (3 + 2) or I might eventually end up having 10 fans (3+3 + 2+2) if I see need for it, through the water temps(?).
Not quite sure if monitoring the water temp is the best way to go, do you want to share how you do it?

Edit: This thread was originally written in the Linus Tech Tips part of the forum and was therefore directed towards Linus(hence me saying "you"), it was however moved to the Air Cooling section.

Last edited by Diabloj13; February 25, 2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: The thread was moved
Old February 25, 2012, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

ambitious make your own controlier for your needs are programable not many one package solutions out there for that many channels

2 channel kit with therm control via PWM
Old February 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the links,
however I don't need to be able to control all of the fans independently, I was thinking of using y-splitters since with the T-Balancer each channel can take 20w and my fans only use about 3w.
So the numbers in parentheses are how manny fans for each channel. At the moment I'll only use 2 channels, 1 to controll the 3 fans for push in one of my radiators and the other channel for 2 fans in push on another radiator.
The "make it yourself" link was informative, but I'm not quite ready to make something like that myself.
Also, the fans I'm going to use are the SilverStone Air Penetrator AP141, which aren't PWM fans.
Old February 25, 2012, 08:36 AM

My System Specs

I would go w/ the Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT over the T-Balancer. The T-Balancer is end of life and hasn't received new software in years. I have a BigNG and don't use it because the software is just awful.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
Rookie

Thanks lowfat, been looking at the Aquaero now and it looks like it's just what I need, now just to decide upon the LCD or the non-LCD version :P
Old February 25, 2012, 10:40 AM

My System Specs

The LT doesn't come w/ a heatsink. And it really does need one. So factor that in to your decision.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Yeah I noticed that, a guy who reviewed the LT strongly suggested fitting a heatsink. I'm however a bit uncertain if I want to use the money on the heatsink or the LCD versions cause in Norway(where I live) the LCD are more than twice the price.
Thanks for the help :)

Edit: Small correction, both the LT AND the pro don't have heatsink, it's only the most expensive XT which has a heatsink.