Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2008, 05:59 PM
Rookie

Great review, although it would have been nice to see the S-Flex F fan on the Ninja as well.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:21 PM
MVP
F@H

I used the thermalright paste on mine, came with the copper v2 vga coolers.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old March 19, 2008, 01:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
Nice review AkG! Appreciate the price/performance analysis, very useful

Rather interesting how the Ultima-90 cools a quad better than the Ninja, but loses when cooling a dual core...shouldn't it cool a dual core better as well?
I'm curious about this too. Maybe the Ultima performs better when it has a higher heat source to cool? Seems really odd to me!
Old March 19, 2008, 04:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
I'm curious about this too. Maybe the Ultima performs better when it has a higher heat source to cool? Seems really odd to me!
While I can't answer for AkG I think it is the opposite way around: the Ninja cools off a dual core VERY well (so the 90 drops back to the #2 spot) while it doesn't cool down a quad as well as the Ultima 90. This isn't a matter of the Ultima 90's performance but rather the Ninja not being able to cool off a quad as well as the Thermalright cooler.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Basically, the Scythe is a very good QUAD cooler but a GREAT dual cooler. I am sure that if we had access to a 4ghz+ dual chip you would have seen the SCN peak earlier than the Ultima. Honestly at these performance levels it really is down to picking nits and you can't go wrong with either one. The SCN is quieter but the Ultima probably has a bit more "top end" to its OC potential. The SCN has more BLING, the Ultima 90 is lighter. etc etc ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
Trial Member

Default Decent review - conclusions however of limited value

The trouble with Scythe is its almost complete lack of support. If you are going to buy a heatsink for 1 socket only a sexy little small time outfit like scythe may be your cup of tea but some of us buying a lot of metal might like to be able to buy spare parts and upgraded mounts for that same lump of metal a few months later. If you fall into that boring category of practical people who like your planet don't buy into Scythe, and its 2 year - not really - its only 1 effectively - warranty.
Value is not just about price per degree but depreciation over time -with Scythe that is a total loss within 12 months effectively because of its virtually non existant support. Sorry to rain on the parade.......
Old June 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentheredun View Post
Sorry to rain on the parade.......

Ummmm......the parade has long been over.