Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Fan controller that doesn't use a front 5.25" bay

I'm using a 600T case and I'll have a total of 10 120mm fans in it. What options do I have if I need a fan controller? The catch is that I don't want to use anything that would show up on the front of my case. I'm trying to keep it slick looking, with no cd/dvd drive or anything. If it makes a difference, support for at least 6 fans would be good enough. I don't mind using the 600T built in fan controller for 4 of the fans, which is the maxiumum it supports.

I assume that if I get a bunch of splitters and use them with the 600t integrated fan controller, the voltage would be split between the fans? I actually don't mind that, because I want to undervolt all my fans anyway. Something tells me that this isn't a good idea though.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What about a standard 5 1/4 bay controller mounted internally? (or a 3 1/2" if your HDD bays will accept one?)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old January 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about something like this:
Alphacool Heatmaster II Products Model: 26153 [26153] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I thought there was a just fan one without the pump options out there but cant find a link right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
What about a standard 5 1/4 bay controller mounted internally? (or a 3 1/2" if your HDD bays will accept one?)
That's a good idea. I might do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
What about something like this:
Alphacool Heatmaster II Products Model: 26153 [26153] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I thought there was a just fan one without the pump options out there but cant find a link right now.
Now why is this so expensive? I really like this type of solution though.

I would like to spend as less as possible. :\
Old January 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

NZXT Sentry Lxe High Performance External Touchscreen Fan Controller Black - NZXT - SENLXE-001
Old January 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have had a chance to use this unit and I cant recommend it, the touch is garbage, nice concept but got pulled and put in storage after 1 week.

As for why the unit is so much really it is a 30w per channel 6 fan connector with pump control and monitoring, I can see why it is that price. Would I pay that ? Doubtful but I can see why it isnt cheap.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old January 11, 2012, 10:03 PM

My System Specs

You could use an Aquaero LT w/ the mounts for it. Both will run about $100 though. But it sure is awesome.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You could use an Aquaero LT w/ the mounts for it. Both will run about $100 though. But it sure is awesome.
Would love to have that. It really does seem awesome, but I just don't have the money.

Scythe Kaze Q12 12-Channel Fan Controller, Black at Memory Express
Scythe Kaze Q8 8-Channel Fan Controller at Memory Express

These seem pretty nice and simple. The Q8 one is mountable on hard drive bays, which would be perfect for me.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you mount it recessed in the case and then pop out that drives cover? Depending on the case might be easier than a internal mount that you would have to pull the side off. Just a idea.

Quote:
Old January 11, 2012, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you need variable control? If not: Fractal Design PCI-MOUNTED Fan Power Splitter - Converts One 4PIN Molex to 16 Connectors - Fractal Design - 5321185

If you do, I believe Sunbeam made a PCI mounted controller that could handle a ton of power on 2 channels. You could probably run a large amount of fans off one channel.