Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Fan controller that doesn't use a front 5.25" bay (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/50373-fan-controller-doesnt-use-front-5-25-bay.html)

bigFOIG January 11, 2012 07:47 PM

Fan controller that doesn't use a front 5.25" bay

I'm using a 600T case and I'll have a total of 10 120mm fans in it. What options do I have if I need a fan controller? The catch is that I don't want to use anything that would show up on the front of my case. I'm trying to keep it slick looking, with no cd/dvd drive or anything. If it makes a difference, support for at least 6 fans would be good enough. I don't mind using the 600T built in fan controller for 4 of the fans, which is the maxiumum it supports.

I assume that if I get a bunch of splitters and use them with the 600t integrated fan controller, the voltage would be split between the fans? I actually don't mind that, because I want to undervolt all my fans anyway. Something tells me that this isn't a good idea though.

sswilson January 11, 2012 07:49 PM

What about a standard 5 1/4 bay controller mounted internally? (or a 3 1/2" if your HDD bays will accept one?)

Supergrover January 11, 2012 07:55 PM

What about something like this:
Alphacool Heatmaster II Products Model: 26153 [26153] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I thought there was a just fan one without the pump options out there but cant find a link right now.

bigFOIG January 11, 2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 589384)
What about a standard 5 1/4 bay controller mounted internally? (or a 3 1/2" if your HDD bays will accept one?)

That's a good idea. I might do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 589386)
What about something like this:
Alphacool Heatmaster II Products Model: 26153 [26153] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I thought there was a just fan one without the pump options out there but cant find a link right now.

Now why is this so expensive? I really like this type of solution though.

I would like to spend as less as possible. :\

Birk January 11, 2012 08:25 PM

NZXT Sentry Lxe High Performance External Touchscreen Fan Controller Black - NZXT - SENLXE-001

Supergrover January 11, 2012 08:28 PM

I have had a chance to use this unit and I cant recommend it, the touch is garbage, nice concept but got pulled and put in storage after 1 week.

As for why the unit is so much really it is a 30w per channel 6 fan connector with pump control and monitoring, I can see why it is that price. Would I pay that ? Doubtful but I can see why it isnt cheap.

lowfat January 11, 2012 09:03 PM

You could use an Aquaero LT w/ the mounts for it. Both will run about $100 though. But it sure is awesome.

bigFOIG January 11, 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 589414)
You could use an Aquaero LT w/ the mounts for it. Both will run about $100 though. But it sure is awesome.

Would love to have that. It really does seem awesome, but I just don't have the money. :sad:

Scythe Kaze Q12 12-Channel Fan Controller, Black at Memory Express
Scythe Kaze Q8 8-Channel Fan Controller at Memory Express

These seem pretty nice and simple. The Q8 one is mountable on hard drive bays, which would be perfect for me.

Supergrover January 11, 2012 09:48 PM

Can you mount it recessed in the case and then pop out that drives cover? Depending on the case might be easier than a internal mount that you would have to pull the side off. Just a idea.

ilya January 11, 2012 09:58 PM

Do you need variable control? If not: Fractal Design PCI-MOUNTED Fan Power Splitter - Converts One 4PIN Molex to 16 Connectors - Fractal Design - 5321185

If you do, I believe Sunbeam made a PCI mounted controller that could handle a ton of power on 2 channels. You could probably run a large amount of fans off one channel.