Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Maybe Change the orientation of your cpu fan? Im not sure how the HSF works since ive never had one but you should try pushing air from the the front of case, thru the ocz to the rear exhaust fan. See if it helps any?

Also, Ive never understood how HSF's in general of that style are supposed to work properly.... with a single fan the air comes out in 3 directions - meaning with one fan on one side of the HSF, the hot air goes out 3 different ways. This makes the airspeed much slower going through the HSF since the air can just enter from the "front", pull a quick turn upwards or downwards, then exit the HSF again after barely hitting the fins of the heatsink....

What you might also try to do is use two 120mm fans in a push/pull combination on opposite sides of the HSF and tape of ziptie on a couple of pieces of plastic to prevent the air from escaping out the sides. This should create a better "wind tunnel" effect and make sure the cool air running into the HSF goes across the full length of the fins before exiting again at high speed. Should improve the performance bit a good deal.
Old March 11, 2008, 01:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Change your fan orientation. Make it push the air towards the exhaust fan in the back of the case. Right now it's pushing air against the top of the case, killing the air flow unless you have a exhaust fan there.
Old March 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If your going to switch check out the Scythe Zipang, it's reportedly quiet and close to the thermalright 120 for cooling, the bonus is that you can still mount your upper 120mm side fan in the CM690.

That's why I'm considering swapping out my Scythe Ninja for it. It doens't blow out the case but the down draft is supposed to have the added benefit of cooling the surround components as well...

From that same site that Cipher gave you...

"The Scythe Zipang heatsink handled quite well on both Intel and AMD platforms, however the real strength of this heatsink is its very low noise operation. Only three other CPU coolers post similarly low temperature results and come close to the Zipang's 33.1 dBA noise level. They are the Tuniq Tower (33.9dBA), Noctua NH-U12P (with its speed reducers; 32.1/34.6dBA), and Coolink Silentator (32.5dBA) heatsinks."

A Thermalright 120 with the clips and a Noctua fan will run you $68, the Zipang is about $45 with a 140mm fan included.

Last edited by low351; March 11, 2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: price comp.
Old March 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So I tried moving the fan to the other side and still no joy. Tried a few differnet ways on the fan and still nothing temps were way off in the high 50C for idle and 79C to 83C on load.

So I took it out and went back to OTV with no hassle they gave me a Coolmaster Hyper 212. What a difference on temps, now on idle my temps is 27C on load there 44C.

So now I very happy . now I can hope to get to 3.2 or 3.4GHz on this cpu.

thanks every one for the help and the sites.
Old March 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow there must have been something way wrong with that vindicator, it's supposed to be better than the Vanquisher I have in my office pc and that HS kept my 120W proc in the mid 40's with load...

Nice temps you have now.

Old March 11, 2008, 07:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well thats what I wondered about, I read a few reviews on it and it sounded like it would do fine.
But it must have been made wrong or copper had a hair line crack in its pipe's some wear.
I told the tech at OTV and he found it odd that I would have that high temps.
He told me he was going to test it tonight, going to let me know tomorrow.