Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2011, 12:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Better airflow direction for my case: SilverStone SST-PS05B

Hi guyz,
I recently purchased a case PS05B and unlike Antec 300 or any budget case like CM Elite 371, it only has one 120mm fan in front, two on the top, one at rear and one at bottom near to power supply. According to this, plz tell me the suitable no. of fan i should use and tell me the airflow and direction of fans for my case to keep it quite cool! :)

Thanks!
Old December 26, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

front, top, rear.

front blows towards rear
rear out of case.
top is either in or out depending on your temps
Old December 26, 2011, 05:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok, but wha u'll say about positive/negative airflow, do they make sense?? As i heard negative airflow is more dusty :P (on Tomshardware)
Old December 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

front to back, and bottom to top always want the heated air going out the back, or up as soon as possible before case ambients get to warm. Positive flow means you have more intake then exhaust, or you have faster intake then exhaust, and yes it makes a big difference in cooling and cleaning.
Old December 26, 2011, 09:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
front to back, and bottom to top always want the heated air going out the back, or up as soon as possible before case ambients get to warm. Positive flow means you have more intake then exhaust, or you have faster intake then exhaust, and yes it makes a big difference in cooling and cleaning.
According to where i m livin, Temp is slightly low but dusty environment, i set up positive airflow for clean internal environment according to this.

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

What u'll say bout this silverstone guide?
Old December 27, 2011, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I try for positive airflow at all times.

Slightly more air going in than going out. In my setup (water cooling) I have 3 fans blowing out the top which is ideal as heat rises. 4 fans blowing in. Front 120mm (hdds) blowing in. Side 200mm fan blowing in. Rear 120mm blowing in (helps with mosfets/vregs) and a bottom 120mm which basically blows the hard drive heat straight up. I lose a bit on the bottom because of the filter but that one has gotta be filtered with my desk setup.

With cpu air cooling the rear 120 should be blowing out... basically you don't wanna blow cold air in as much as you want to get the hot air out but in my humble opinion it is better to have a bit of internal pressure to help get the hot air out which keeps the dust down. Heat removal is ideal.

Because I water cool I lack the internal airflow a normal cpu cooler generates. A push pull setup for example would blow air past the cpu mosfets and keep them cool always. I don't have that so to counter that problem I reversed my rear 120mm fan. I have next to no dust problems with a slightly positive setup.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 27, 2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I try for positive airflow at all times.

Slightly more air going in than going out. In my setup (water cooling) I have 3 fans blowing out the top which is ideal as heat rises. Front 120mm (hdds) blowing in. Side 200mm fan blowing in. Rear 120mm blowing in (helps with mosfets/vregs)

With cpu air cooling the rear 120 should be blowing out... basically you don't wanna blow cold air in as much as you want to get the hot air out. Because I water cool I lack the internal airflow a normal cpu cooler generates. To counter that problem I reversed my rear 120mm fan. I have next to no dust problems with a slightly positive setup.
Thnx dude, helpful explanation :)
Old December 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I edited my original post a bit.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I edited my original post a bit.
Dude, Jus help me again in this lil prob, i have five fans opt. 1 in front bazel, two are at top, 1 at rear with cpu and 1 in bottom with psu. Now, according to this tell me the fans management, pz

Thanks
Old December 27, 2011, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

also if you are worried about dust and your case doesn't have filters there is a couple options!

1st one is the cheapo foam type filters that can be washed but build up fast and impeed airflow. The other is quite cheap and easy to do.

Purchase these kind or these kind it doesn't matter. Then purchase some screen door screen (its very cheap and some places bulk sell it)

cut and attach this stuff to either of the fan grills above. It will seriously catch a lot of the dust/hair and keep your case much cleaner.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.