Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2008, 03:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thenewguy001 It does come with a silicone compound. I had unceremoniously tossed it aside since I bought Arctic Silver 5. I hauled out the box and took a picture for you, I edited the thread to put it in the originals. I dunno how good it is.

Old March 21, 2008, 08:12 AM
Allstar

Thanks, but the image isn't showing... It's alright though since I'll be getting mx-2 paste I'm thinking about getting this since it's on sale again at ncix this week. It looks like you just used the pushpins for this massive cooler. Or did you use a backplate? Also, I have a CM690 case as well and was wondering if you can use a second case fan on the side with this mounted?
Old March 21, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You know what I did for my CM690? I have two (2) fans in the top of the case. Now besides running a push/pull config on my heatsink......

I try do do a similar thing for the case. The first top fan(from the front of the case) pulls in the cold air....that is being drawn through the heatsink...and the rear top fan will suck the hot air out...just like the rear exhaust fan. That would by far be the coldest config possible!
Old March 25, 2008, 01:47 PM
Allstar

I just bought this 4 days ago and here is my review that I posted on NCIX:

Strengths:
-significant drops in idle temps
-minor drop in full load temps
-thankfully, works with Thermalright LGA775 mounting system after removing intel-stock-style pushpins from mounting bracket
-cheap, especially when on sale (this item seems to be on sale alot here at NCIX!)
-comes with thermal paste

Weaknesses
-very large, may have clearance an issue with some boards (caps, RAM) and small cases
-very difficult to mount due to size, and LGA775 mounting system (pushpins). You WILL need to remove your motherboard to mount this, even with pushpins.
-very large, sharp fins + turning pushpins = sliced fingers
-pushpins system is flimsy and FELL OFF after mounting. Had to remount with retention system but the Scythe retention system is terrible (need copper spacer between CPU and heatsink - VERY BAD DESIGN), but props to NCIX for allowing me to exchange for the thermalright kit
-moderately heavy, will probably sag/bend flimsly motherboards with pushpins
-as indicated by some web reviews, does not handle quad core (Q6600) full load very well.
-not recommended for new users due to mounting difficulties. I had to get creative and thankfully had the right tools. New users should shell out some more cash for a smaller tower heatsink.

Summary:
Overall, its cooling performance matched my expectations, and the difficulties were forseen from reviews. I bought it on sale and I definitely felt I received my money's worth. However, due to the size and difficulty of the mount, I will be looking to other better, more expensive cooling solutions in the future. If you're on a budget and can patiently handle the hassles, this is an adequate solution.

Final Rating: 3/5 (satisfactory)
Old March 26, 2008, 07:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry I didn't see your question before you purchased. I didn't use a backplate since it doesn't come with one and that was one of my requirements when I went looking. I'm not as concerned about that since I did cablemanagement and removing and replacing the motherboard isn't as difficult now.

I was wondering if the terrible clips and weight of this thing could be affecting it's performance too. perhaps it leans because of the weight and doesn't make full contact with the CPU when the PC is upright... I was hoping that the 775 pins would be better, I guess you've found that their not...

I agree with your rating. PS. Does the tim picture show now? I thought I'd fixed it.

Old March 27, 2008, 09:39 AM
Allstar

I suspect the weight and lean associated with the loose pushpins gives it very poor contact, at least with the top part of the CPU. I have about a 5C difference in temps between 2 of my 4 cores.

I did test it in a horizontal position (albeit open case) and it was performing much better, at least 5-6C difference under load. knowing what I know now, I would have gone with an ultima-90 or a ocz vendetta. They're smaller and allows me to more easily access the components on my mobo. Having to remount my entire mobo to add more ram really sucks, especially since I only have 1 screw driver that can reach the screw on the top left corner with this HSF on there. Good thing I have 2x2gb and will likely never need to add more.

The TIM pic shows now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
You know what I did for my CM690? I have two (2) fans in the top of the case. Now besides running a push/pull config on my heatsink......

I try do do a similar thing for the case. The first top fan(from the front of the case) pulls in the cold air....that is being drawn through the heatsink...and the rear top fan will suck the hot air out...just like the rear exhaust fan. That would by far be the coldest config possible!
I have enough case fans to do what you did, but I'm afraid that a suck/blow top fan configuration might be pulling in some of the hot exhaust air from the back.

Instead, I installed a 2nd front intake fan using my 3 unused 5.25" drive bays, and have a configuration like this:

All fans are 120mm except on the vid card. I also have a 80mm fan blowing from the back of the mobo, and of course, a side fan blowing towards the vid card/northbridge. That will be my summer config. In cooler times, I unplug the back 80mm, and the top/bottom fans to save power. They're not necessary at this time of the year.

Last edited by thenewguy001; March 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Did you put in a 20mm thick 80mm on the back? I manage to shoehorn a regular one in there but I faced it in and it made a Voooop noise that irritated me, I didn't think of reversing it.

Someone else tried the Vendetta here and hated it. I'm starting to like my OCZ Vanquisher more and more, it's not as pretty as the Scythe but it appeared to do a better job. I'll have to test it to see if I'm right.

Old March 28, 2008, 07:28 PM
Allstar

my 80mm fan is 15mm thick