Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2011, 06:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question Will having a room at 72*F cause CPU overheating?

I have this amazing heater that i put on the wall behind my chair. This particular room is a little bit leaky(was added on and not insulated well) so i like to get the room warm but sometimes forget to turn on the limiter at 72 degrees Fahrenheit. So i am getting a custom aircooled build soon and i want to know if having the room that warm will overheat my CPU or GPU on stock aircooling for the CPU and 2 extra case fans.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old December 7, 2011, 06:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should be fine, you are aware that 72F is essentially the standard room temperature. As long as you are not heavily overclocked on your cpu or gpu you should be fine.
Old December 7, 2011, 08:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've know people to have rooms upwards of 100f in the summer and their gaming rigs held up on stock clocks.

But a yeah, cooling potential gets a lot better the larger the difference between the cooler's temp and the rooms temp.
Old December 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In the summer the room with my machine in it gets quite warm, looking at around 80 or so. Even worse the corner it is in is under my desk and right now it is about 76. Add to that I have my machine OC'd to 4.8GHz, so really 72 is not an issue with even stock cooling.

Old December 9, 2011, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok thanks for the input!
Old December 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You should be fine, you are aware that 72F is essentially the standard room temperature. As long as you are not heavily overclocked on your cpu or gpu you should be fine.
That is what I was going to say. if you roughly convert 72 F into Celsius it is around 20 C .
Old December 24, 2011, 01:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yep my room is about that temp on a cool day during Winter. I have both my CPU & GPU OC'ed and my room was 28C yesterday. It can get a little more toasty than usual but should hold up fine.

I'm jealous you need a heater. With the Sun & my 480 working together I often find myself overheating.