Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Default Gelid Wings? Or Silverstone Air Penetrators

So, I have a Antec P280 case. Currently no intake fans, looking at some fans. I'm also looking to replace the fans of my H80. So I wanted your opinion.

Would you use 2 Gelid Wings at the front as intake fans, 2 more Gelid Wings at the top for exhaust, and then 2 Air Penetrators in a Push-Pull Configuration for the H80?

Or just Gelid wings all around?
Or Air Penetrators all around?

If you have a better configuration that you would do please let me know.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Historically from my experience the Wings (hi end ones) are louder than the pentrators.

I would honestly opt though if you want best performance go with the wings.
If you want to have a quiet rig go with the Silverstones.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Installed the wings in my parents computer on an Antec p180 case, and I forgot how loud those are. Didn't even really feel like they were moving much air, but I guess they are alright.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on which Wings you get.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 2, 2011, 08:50 PM
Rookie

The Blue Wigs 12 120mm, or the green ones. I thought those were quiet....I just want quiet but still move alot of air fans.

I also saw Linus's video for his Personal rig, he has like 6 Gelid Wings in his case, they seemed to be very quiet, although they were hardly spinning.

Last edited by enez67; December 2, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Keep in mind in that the TJ-07 uses fan grills that basically don't impede or obstruct airflow in any way. (instead of mesh)

Gelid Wings have amazing static pressure and very little bearing noise, but they are very turbulent and suffer from significant airflow leakage. They need to be shrouded or used in a near open air environment to perform well with minimal noise. I would only recommend against using them as front intakes for a P280 as they would most definitely perform poorly and make a racket.

Silverstone AP's are usually quieter and give good constant and laminar airflow. I personally only use them for rear exhaust, bottom/side intake, and sometimes radiator/heatsink applications. They are a little bit lacking in the static pressure department so I don't like to use them as filtered front intakes with a hard drive bay behind them.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:36 PM
Rookie

So the Wings would just be bad as intakes, but the Penetrators would be the better choice? I still kinda think the Penetrators would work great as intakes.

I assumed since the Air Penetrators push air kinda like in a cyclone, that they would be great for intakes and for the Push Pull configuration for the H80. Then the gelid Wings would just be exhaust at the top.