Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 02:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Silverstone air penetrators any good for pull?

I know Silverstone air penetrators are really designed to be push fans (as in push into the case), but id rather all my LED fans matched, so would they be that bad as pull fans? I mean I know they will work, but will they work well? Or give a low pull performance?

Thanks
Old November 28, 2011, 11:06 AM

My System Specs

Is this for a radiator? Honestly I think the fan would do better pull. Just my opinion and guess though.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ive been using a 120mm as a pull on my h-50 since i assembled my rig. works fine and the directed airflow seems to me to be quieter than a regular ole 120 mm
Old November 28, 2011, 03:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I currently have an Antec 300, but plan on upgrading to a Corsair Obsidian 650D. In my Antec I would like 2 as push fans in the front, and 1 as a pull fan at the back. In the Corsair I would put 2 as pull fans on top, quite possibly for a radiator, and one on the back, probably as a pull. I would use the 200mm fan at the front as the push, and a 120mm on the bottom as push if I felt the airflow was insufficient. This would be another silverstone air penetrator.
Old November 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've always found that push is better than pull. Even with gelid wings at fullspeed, there really wasn't much air movement through my rad. pull < push < push/pull
Old November 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I've always found that push is better than pull. Even with gelid wings at fullspeed, there really wasn't much air movement through my rad. pull < push < push/pull
Gelid Wings need to be shrouded for any kind of decent performance. The fan blade geometry makes for amazing static pressure, but the struts at the end leave a giant gap between the frame and the blades that result in a ton of recycled airflow.

To the OP, AP121/141's are great exhaust fans, in fact in my experience they perform better as a rear exhaust fan than as a front intake. (assuming there's a hard drive cage behind them) They also make great side/bottom fans. The terms push/pull are typically used for heatsink and radiator applications, not for the chassis.
Old November 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Push pull for a chasis just makes more sense to me, though I spose you could say intake and outtake :P
Old November 29, 2011, 01:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Intake / Exhaust