Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yea i found some at microcenter for 9.99 so ill get some soon i think i dont really know when ill go im just lazy

but now i have a new question for you guys the whole reason im looking for the best paste is i want a silent pc and im also looking for a good case and i really like the fractal cases but i dont know if i want the R3 or the midi i know the R3 has sound canceling stuff but does it really work and the thing i like about the arc on the other hand is that i can take out the drive cages and it supports full size 240 rads but i heard the
R3 can aswell but only if you remove the rivets holding in the drive cages so is it easy to drill out rivets or not and can i actually mount a rad in the front of an R3 and if so it the air flow good enough? sorry im such an indecisive person
Old November 25, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have the fractal Define mini and to be honest I find that it doesn't dampen the sound very much at all. I can still hear my supposedly silent fans and stuff anyways. But I will say I am very pleased with the general build quality of the fractal define series case.

Rivets are super easy to drill out. It's a simple as drilling a hole. That's it.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Im surprised no one mentioned AS5 yet, well im using mx4 and love the fact theres no curing time like the AS5, but it is thiker than zalman stg1 so I increase the mounting pressure to get a better spread
Old February 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I personally like the Zalman (ZM-SGT2) paste. I also swear by the Arctic Silver ArctiClean 2 step cleaner/purifier now when doing anything to do with thermal paste!

Old March 2, 2012, 08:32 PM
Rookie

I believe the best is called Indigo Extreme... though it probably wouldn't be worth it to track down (not sure on price). I'm using prolimatech pk-1 right now, which is a very good paste and it came with my heatsink.

For a silent pc, mesh cases are not the best option, the R3 would definitely be better in that respect.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yea i like as5 but its just so old and i dont like the fact that its conductive mainly since i live in the state of Texas and down here the summers are brutal as in 99-115 as daily highs with 50-90% humidity. so in the older house that i live in the insulation sucks along with our ac so my room will hit 90degrees during the day, then you add in a 1090t and a 4ghz over clock to it and you got a problem of the paste starting to run a little. hopefully you see where im going here. so i prefer none conductive or very low conductive pastes. and right now im looking at either noctua or maybe zalman or ic-diamond 7 if i can find it.

edit: oh and the temps are Fahrenheit just to clarify so dont freak out you Celsius users
Old March 3, 2012, 09:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My top 3 TIM choices are MX 4, OCZ freeze, and arctic ceramique, all good spread, and all non conductive(indigo extreme on it's way though, it is the best)
Old March 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

I use MG 860 .

60 gram tub = 10$

Wipes right off after YEARS of use , doesn't conduct electricity.

Old March 4, 2012, 09:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I use MG 860 .

60 gram tub = 10$

How's the performance compared to other on that stuff? Seems to have good price/gram.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I use MG 860 .

60 gram tub = 10$

seems interesting, and if it performs aswell as what it says it could be my answer, and it doesnt conduct so a plus on me never having to go through a whole cpu and mobo replacement, what a pain in the ass that was.