Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Help me optimize my coolin/airflow.

Hi all. I have recently thinking about my cooling and wondering if I someone could help me optimize my cooling. All my system specs are listed in my build area, but I will say that I use the Corsair Obsidian 650d. It houses dual 200mm fans, and a 120 mm fan on the rear.

The way it is currently setup is pretty much stock. The front 200mm fan is the intake, while the top 200mm is exhaust, as well as the 120mm on the rear exhausing. Now I might add that I have a Corsair H60 cooler installed and I have dual 120's on the H60 rad in a push.pull config exhausting warm air out of the case.

I have seen in a linus video where I think he recommended drawing air into the case over the radiator and blowing air onto the Mobo Heatsinks? Would anyone recommend doing this or changing the fan configuration?

Old October 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Corsair recommends drawing in fresh air from outside the case, so i would give that a shot, it might decrease your temps quite a bit since you won't be drawing air from your video card & motherboard.
Old October 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah...agreed with supaflyx3. Normally pulling cold air from the outside is best. The only thing to watch is that since your GPU has a blower style fan, hot air will be exhausted out the back. Potentially, some of that could be sucked back in through the H60 fan/radiator above. TBH, I don't know if it'll be any worse than pulling the hot air off your GPU from the inside, though.

I think I'd still go for having the H60 pulling in and see how it goes. Regarding the other stock fans, I'd leave the orientation as is. :)
Old October 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
Rookie

I did a test with my hafx case. It has 4 200mm case fans, 3 of which draw air in and one pushes it out the back. With the fans off, and my PC idle my temps are up by about 20%. So, like others are suggesting drawing in "cooler" air from outside the case is a crucial part of keeping all your components cooler (in general).
4GB DDR3 RAM
XFX Radeon 6870
Coolermaster Haf X case
>3 TB storage
dual Samsung 22" widescreens
Old October 25, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the input guys! I just received my new mATX case today and am going to be moving everything over to the new case and mobo. I will keep all those into consideration. The new case has a total different setup but I guess most fans are in the same places.