Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2011, 12:10 PM
Trial Member

Default 2x6970 Crossfire VGA Cooler Question

Hello,

I have two Sapphire 6970's on a ASUS Maximus IV Extreme and the noise is killing me. They usually run at 60-80/40-50C at 30-40/20-30% fan speed. Manually setting the lowest fan speed (20%) results in a much more bearable noise level, but that just sends the temperatures to hell. I've also tried reducing their clock speeds but that didn't change temperatures much (if any). Given that I'm using a large CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D14) and the only thing in my PCIs are the 6970s, will I be able to fit two Accelero XTREME Plus II coolers? There is maybe 30mm of space between the cards and 25mm between the card and CPU cooler. If not, can you suggest any other coolers for both performance and sound.

Other:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D (stock fans <-- how much would replacing/adding case fans help?)
PSU: CM Silent Pro 1000W Modular PS
Display: 4x1080p (DVI, HDMI, 2xMiniDP-to-DVI)

Thanks!
Old October 15, 2011, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure if I can recommend that cooler. I have 2 5870s and was really looking to them, but it appeared they barely cooled the VRams and people were having issues because of that. These coolers sure do bring down GPU temps and keep them quiet, but unless they've made improvements on cooling the other small areas I wouldn't risk it. Have you considered watercooling?
Old October 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just purchased a 6970 with the EK v2 block on it and let me tell you... I do NOT miss the fan noise from the 5850 i was using. 42 idle and 52 load temp values 5-8 variant from ambient. Talk to Daz he might cut you a deal for a WC setup. If all you cooled was the vids A dual rad would probably do just fine.

Here it is : http://dean.kicks-ass.tv/hwc/nightpic.jpg
Old October 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
Top Prospect

Not sure if you got your answer or not, but I have used the Accelero Extremes in the past and thought I'd shard my experiences. I used to run a pair of 5870's and I installed the Arctic Cooling accelero. JMCD is right about the VRM cooling. Temperatures were fine for regular gaming loads, but once you started running things like Furmark, 3Dmark11, Heaven, etc... then the VRM temps got quite warm. The other complaint I had was the RAM sinks came in two big parts instead if the individual heat sinks. I found that as soon as you tightened the main heat sink on the GPU, the PCB would flex just a little bit and pop the ram sinks off. I ended up getting some little Zalman (I think) small RAM sinks and used those instead.

Regarding the noise from the Accelero Exremes, it was actually very quiet - even at the max speed it was almost inaudible. Core temps were very good too. Compared to the stock heat sink, everything was much cooler with the exception of the VRMs. It's been a while since I owned the 5870's, but IIRC, with the Accelero Extreme the VRM's were at 60-70*C during typical gaming load, but Furmark and other benchmarks pushed them to 90-100*C instead. AFAIK, from the googling I did at the time, these were still safe temps, but very much on the 'high-end' of what is considered safe.

TBH, I think I would agree with the guys above about going water cooling. It would cool the entire card so much better. The trouble with a lot of these aftermarket GPU coolers is they focus too much on getting the core cooled and it leaves very little room for cooling other components...so, the result is they end up with these very small heat sinks that just can't handle the heat. :/
Old January 2, 2012, 03:06 PM
Rookie

if u don't wanna use the water cooling system, and then AC Extreme is your best choice.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

arctic recently undated their cooling for ram and vrm's and i heard its much better and the damn things dont fall off anymore
Old January 4, 2012, 09:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe you should consider watercooling. ;) It's a great choice if you're worried about noise. And you get great temps to go with it... How can you lose? Well, I guess your wallet...
Old January 4, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say go for water cooling if you want a EK v2 block full gpu block I have one never used it just pick a price I have no use for it at all having more fun making my Frankensteined water coolers MUHAHAHA

Old April 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you got some coin, go with the water cooling and you will never go back. Quiet and cool....
Old April 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

lol I dare you to do that!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Tags
6970 , amd , crossfire , radeon , vga cooler