Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default Which fan for what?

Hi guys, been a reader for a while but am a first time poster.

I have three 120mm fans right now...:

Antec TriCool 120MM Case Fan 3-SPEED 1200/1600/2200RPM 25/28/30DBA 39/56/79CFM
(an all black one came with my Antec NSK6500, I'm assuming it's the same as the one I listed)

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB

Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1200RPM 68.5CFM 24DBA
(came with my Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B)

and I'm wondering which one I should use for:

(1) Intake

(2) HSF - Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B

(3) Exhaust - originally was the Antec TriCool

I value silence as well as performance...except when it's dead silent and I'm trying to concentrate

Also a question about static pressure:

Is high static pressure preferable for all HSF fans and CFM for exhaust/intake fans? What if the grilles are a bit restrictive?

Thanks for the help.

PS: Love the smileys on this forum

SPECS:

Antec NSK6500 case
Corsair HX520
Gigabyte 965-DS3 Rev1.0 w/ Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm on NB
Intel E6300 @ 3.5ghz, 1.45V
Mushkin 2GB HP2-6400 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-15, 1.9V
eVGA 7600GT KO
Seagate 7200.10 320GB

Last edited by crazyazn; February 18, 2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to post specs
Old February 19, 2008, 06:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF I had to use only those 3 fans....I would cheat and buy a 2 Scythe E's and one Noctua NF-p12 . Seriously though use the Scythe F as the CPU cooler fan, the Antec as your exhaust and the kaze for intake.

YES, fan air restrctions / static pressure will make your fan perfrom way below expected (good rule of thumb is if your fan inlet has a lot blocking it expect 60% at the most for its real world performance...ie take its rated CFM X .6 = ball bark real number).

I would use the SCYTHE F because its motherboard "CPU fan speed" controllable via voltage regulation and is a good performer (I use 2 on my Ultima 90), the antec on high for exhaust because it is better to have a NEGATIVE air pressure inside the case to suck cool air in and expelll the hot air. The Kaze should move enough to cool your Hard Drives (not that they really need it) and bring in fresh air while still being fairly quiet.

Just my 2 cents.
Experiment and see what works best for you!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 19, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

The fan that came with the Ninja is perfectly fine for the ninja. The ninja has spaced out fans so you don't need a high static pressure fan for that.

In regards to case fans pick up some Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F

Thats all you'd need
Old February 19, 2008, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for replying guys,

So if I got this right, the CFM should supposedly be:

Exhaust > HSF > Intake

I've think I will use the TriCool as the intake (on 'Low'), as I can't really stand the sound (of the air moving?) that's produced when it's on 'High' as the exhaust.

So of the 2 Scythe fans left, I should use the S-Flex for HSF, and the SlipStream for exhaust? (Since the CFM of the SlipStream > S-Flex...)

I'd love to get some Noctua fans...but they're just so damn expensive.

Thanks.