Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Heatsink that will fit ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/46510-heatsink-will-fit-asrock-p67-extreme4-gen-3-a.html)

Pabz0r545 September 16, 2011 01:44 PM

Heatsink that will fit ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3

Hi everyone. Last night I built my very own home build gaming PC for the first time. YAY! Everything went pretty smooth except for the heatsink. I applied the thermal paste to my CPU only to find out that my heatsink was too big to fit on my motherboard. I washed it off with isopropyl alcohol, washed the thermal paste off the factory heatsink that came with my i5 2500k processor and used the thermal compound I applied in the first place.

My question is... Does any of you know of a heatsink that will fit on the ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen3 Motherboard? Also I kinda care what it looks like and would like to stay away from any copper showing. Preferably a cool looking one but it doesn't absolutely have to look cool.

THanks!

Borg September 16, 2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 (Post 549847)
Hi everyone. Last night I built my very own home build gaming PC for the first time. YAY! Everything went pretty smooth except for the heatsink. I applied the thermal paste to my CPU only to find out that my heatsink was too big to fit on my motherboard. I washed it off with isopropyl alcohol, washed the thermal paste off the factory heatsink that came with my i5 2500k processor and used the thermal compound I applied in the first place.

My question is... Does any of you know of a heatsink that will fit on the ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen3 Motherboard? Also I kinda care what it looks like and would like to stay away from any copper showing. Preferably a cool looking one but it doesn't absolutely have to look cool.

THanks!

If you check reviews and newegg reviews, for e.g, this mobo can support many heatsinks. I believe many on this site recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus if you want something cheap.

You tried the Intel heatsink that came with the cpu? I read it's not very good especially if you ever want to overclock.

Pabz0r545 September 16, 2011 02:14 PM

Hey, thanks for the swift reply. There were only a few reviews on the newegg site so I didn't bother to check, but I should do so.

I currently have the stock intel CPU cooler installed. I know :( can't overclock with it.

Pabz0r545 September 16, 2011 03:34 PM

Heatsink for ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3

Hey everyone. I am wondering if anyone of you ASRockers out there with a P67 could tell me which heatsink you use. I setup my PC with this mobo yesterday only to find out the aftermarket heatsink I purchased was too big and will not fit. Trying to find a semi stylish looking one that will fit and perform well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

ultraman7k September 16, 2011 03:45 PM

which heatsink did you buy? what kind of case do you have?

Pabz0r545 September 16, 2011 04:32 PM

I bought the Zalman CNPS11X . It has somewhat of a triangular shape which I think is the reason it won't fit. It hits the large metal part of the mobo(mobo heatsink I think, forgive me I'm a total n00b). I even tried to reposition the heatsink but the mounting piece will only allow it to mount 2 ways, exhausting towards the rear and front of the case, which neither will actually fit.

It is installed in a Corsair Obsidian 650D.

Here is a link to the motherboard ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 . You can view a good top angle picture of it and you will see there is very little clearance for a heatsink. Being a n00b and this is my first time building a PC, I didn't take that into consideration. There is really only about the same amount of room as the stock heat sink/fan that came with the Intel Core i5 2500k until it passes the height of the metal thing. You can see the square and circular frame around the CPU. This is an excellent outline and pretty much exactly what I have to work with. It measures 10x10 cm.

Evochuck September 16, 2011 05:33 PM

I wonder how much bigger the heatsinks are on your mb vs my extreme4 z68 cause rocking a tr silver wich is considered by many to ne huge.

Pabz0r545 September 16, 2011 05:53 PM

I just viewed pictures of both on the newegg site and it appears they are the exact same size on the P67 and Z68.

techman95 September 16, 2011 07:30 PM

if you want something thats "cool" then i might suggest the coolernaster v6gt or v8. the v6gt being the better of the two. i have the v6 and love it, it keeps my 1090T at 4ghz idle 29 and 55 with one hour of prime so it should cool an i5 even better.

Pabz0r545 September 16, 2011 11:13 PM

Yes I have looked into the CoolerMaster V6GT cuz of its super cool looks but I am worried about the size still. I looked at the dimensions and I fear it still might be too big. I checked out the ThermalTake Friowhich might work as one of the dimensions is only 98mm which means I might be able to mount it exhausting upwards instead of to the rear.