Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2011, 03:46 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have the Zalman CNPS 11x and it did not fit onto the mobo. I had to cut off some fins off the voltage regulator heatsink to make it fit, which took about 15-20 mins of work with some filing tools. Looking at the V6GT, I don't think it would fit the mobo, maybe try looking at other solutions such as the Corsair water cooler series. H50,80, 100, etc. One good thing about those is that they are pretty good coolers (although the best air coolers like Noctua D14 or Thermalright Archon) still beats it, but at least you'll know that it'll fit the mobo with no problem.
Old September 17, 2011, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can easily overclock a 2500k to about 3.7 GHz on the stock heatsink (although don't expect it to be quiet).

Hmm those are some tall VRM sinks... I'd measure first but look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, Corsair A50, Corsair A70, and Prolimatech Megahalems (+ buy a 120mm fan) - the heat pipes bring the fins up pretty high over the socket so they should fit over those heat sinks.

Last edited by frontier204; September 17, 2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: try the pic again...
Old September 17, 2011, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Duplicate post? http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post549847
Old September 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes. I hope that isn't against the forum rules. I wasn't sure which section to post it in so I posted in both.
Old September 17, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Greatly appreciated. :)

Yeah I am beginning to think one of those Closed Loop Water Cooling Systems will be my only option because of the space issue. I just wanted to not have to have a radiator in the case if possible but, if thats what I gotta do, that's what I gotta do.

I'm going to try the ThermalTake Frio, since it has a 98mm Dimension. Depeding on which dimension that is I might or might not be able to mount it. If that doesn't work I will have to start really looking into one of those Corsair closed loop systems.
Old September 17, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Either get a heatsink that will have over 40mm height clearance for RAM/motherboard heatsinks or go with a closed water cooling kit.

The latter will be easier if you care about looks, most aftermarket heatsinks don't list these specs or don't give the full >40mm clearance, and the ones that do are usually ugly. (Noctua for example) If the Zalman heatsink you bought won't fit, it's going to be a hard finding one that will.

You could also go for a thinner heatsink, but most of those are meant to be used with a 140mm fan, which makes them longer. Your particular motherboard will likely have clearance issues with the first and possibly the second expansion slots. It could work if you insulate the protruding fan clips though.
Old September 17, 2011, 09:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Threads merged.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok so I decided to go with the Corsair H60. It is pretty much a sure fit. The Thermaltake Frio looks cool and stuff but I didn't want to have to risk ordering it from newegg and having to RMA it. I don't think they would be too pleased plus that is just a hassle with shipping and all. Also I couldn't easily find it locally and I found the Corsair H60 on sale for $55.

Thank you all for the input!
Old October 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Xigmatek

I went with the Xigmatek Gaia and couldn't be happier...
Plenty of clearance from the door on my 600T SE and about a quarter of inch away from my Ripjaw ram.
Keeps my I5 2500K at about 31c idle and the highest I've seen it go while running Prime95 is about 53c
I also used Noctua NT-H1 Thermal paste which seemed to help, If you do go with this cooler replace the fan and go with 2 fans in a push pull config...

hope this helped!

Old October 1, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the info sherbanater. Unfortuantely I have already installed a corsair H60. Hopefully someone else will be able to use the info though.

53c is pretty nice max temp from prime 95. Do you have your CPU overclocked?

I am getting 60c max at 4.2 GHz with the H60. I am going to install a 2nd fan on the H60 for a push pull to see if it makes much of a difference, but first I have to get off my lazy ass to the hardware store to get some screws.