Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2011, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

About how much above ambient temp should my CPU be running?

Again, I live in FL so its in the 80's overall, and my CPUs pretty much under idle are in the 100+F range.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, went to compusa to pick up some new thermal compound (also Wally World for rubbing alcohol and coffee filters).

So after pulling the MB out, cleaning the CPU and Heatsink of the former compound I let it dry a few moments then proceeded to tint the CPU + Heatsink (to fill in the microfissures in the metal) per instructions. Then applying the compound per directions put everything back together.

I saw INSTANT decrease in CPU temps by 10C. So appears improper heatsink to CPU installation of thermal compound is to blame for high CPU temps.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
Ok, went to compusa to pick up some new thermal compound (also Wally World for rubbing alcohol and coffee filters).

So after pulling the MB out, cleaning the CPU and Heatsink of the former compound I let it dry a few moments then proceeded to tint the CPU + Heatsink (to fill in the microfissures in the metal) per instructions. Then applying the compound per directions put everything back together.

I saw INSTANT decrease in CPU temps by 10C. So appears improper heatsink to CPU installation of thermal compound is to blame for high CPU temps.
this is usually the case, sometimes it just needs a good cleaning. I also try andclean and reapply the thermal paste ever 8-10 months.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Did you get any drop in your hdd temps? I am 26 room temp and HDD temps on all 3 are at 36. 10 degrees above ambient. I have a 180mm fan on them and good airflow so I think my temps might be pretty good.
Old August 16, 2011, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
Did you get any drop in your hdd temps? I am 26 room temp and HDD temps on all 3 are at 36. 10 degrees above ambient. I have a 180mm fan on them and good airflow so I think my temps might be pretty good.
HDD temps went down. Mine are still rather hot, but I live in Florida. Its an older WDC so its kind of old. I expect temps to drop when I move to a newer HDD.

Its running down around 56c (again, think it's hot but its a pretty old drive and definately cooler than before).

Last edited by BVickery; August 16, 2011 at 02:08 PM.