Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cooling a Corsair 650D

Ok, decided on the Corsair Obsidian 650D case as my case upgrade.

Now 3 questions

1) Good aftermarket fans to put into the case to improve the airflow from the stock fans.
2) In a previous thread, a fan controller was mentioned...recommended controller and ones to avoid like the plague.
3) Overall placement of fans in the case (IE should side be pulling in or out? Top? Back?)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BVickery; August 2, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old August 2, 2011, 12:41 PM

My System Specs

What case are you referring to, the Corsair 600T or the 650D?
Old August 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
What case are you referring to, the Corsair 600T or the 650D?
My bad, 650D, editing the original post. Thanks for the heads up, been speding the past 2 days buried in Case and Vid Card reviews.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:03 PM

My System Specs

The 200mm fans it comes w/ are only 20mm wide so they aren't going to produce all that much static pressure. I think the one at the front may no do so well at pushing air through the HDD bays, especially if they are used. I just ordered a 200x30mm Antec fan to replace the front 200mm in the case, although I am not sure it will fit as there isn't a whole lot of room up there. The top 200mm fan can be removed and two 120mm or 140mm fans could be used in its place.

I haven't used the stock fan controller that it comes w/ yet as I am still waiting on some parts. But I definitely do plan on trying it out.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You won't be able to fit that 30mm Antec fan in the front without removing the drive cages completely and moving them closer to the PSU, although only one will fit there.

The top can be replaced with any 200mm fan, I'm currently using one of the Coolermaster Megaflow fans up there.
Old August 3, 2011, 12:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well, after reading more reviews and listening, I'm gonna grab a Silverstone Raven 02-E instead. Got it on order from Amazon (free shipping FTW).

Think gonna save the 650D or like case when I hit water cooling, think the case can shine there.
Old August 3, 2011, 12:33 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
You won't be able to fit that 30mm Antec fan in the front without removing the drive cages completely and moving them closer to the PSU, although only one will fit there.
Well that is a shame. Know of any decent 25mm thick 200mm fans? I honestly do not want to move the HDD bays as it kind of wrecks the look of the case IMO.
Old August 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nope, don't know of anything that'll fit there, I don't get all the fuss to be honest. The front stock fan is decent enough.
I have absolutely no heat issues and I've got everything overclocked in my system.
Maybe it's cause I'm running a Sandy and those don't heat up much, but either way, the 650D is a pretty solid air cooling case IMHO. It may not be as good as a HAF, but it looks about 1000x better, and that's good enough for me.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:27 PM

My System Specs

I was able to fit the 30mm Antec fan up front. All I needed to do was dremel off the folded over steel on the edge of the drive cage. Although one issue I found is that it seems that 200mm fans don't use the same mounting holes from manufacturer to manufacturer. However it is such a tight fit the HDD bays hold it in place without any screws.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

Did swapping out the front fan make any improvements? I have noticed that the fans on my 650D aren't exactly silent.