Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 09:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

While advanced manufacturing technologies are gradually reducing CPU heat output, heatsink manufacturers keep making larger and larger coolers. We now have Prolimatech coming along to drop yet another huge dual tower heatsink into our laps. Called the Genesis, it dwarfs almost every other competitor on the market while sporting a fundamentally unique...

[ Read full article ]
Old June 21, 2011, 09:56 PM
Banned
F@H

finally! good jobbe.

love this cooler. could've been a bit fuller,like perhaps 100% fuller but hey.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
MVP

its a real nice and innovative (well not rly, but its not generic lets say) cooler! sadly availability seem a little off...and for the performance its giving, the price I expect such a unique Prolimatech to go for is probably too high, hopefully they will prove me wrong!
Old June 21, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
its a real nice and innovative (well not rly, but its not generic lets say) cooler! sadly availability seem a little off...and for the performance its giving, the price I expect such a unique Prolimatech to go for is probably too high, hopefully they will prove me wrong!
The price for that last ~5 degrees of performance compared to, say, a Hyper 212+ at $20 on sale is usually $60-$80. In my books not a good buy, but there are definitely those who are willing to pay the premium.

What I find funny is that I'm sure many people sink that extra dough into a heatsink thinking they'll get much better performance compared to a third-party cooler they already have, only to find out the performance gain is negligible or there isn't one at all, when they could have spent the cash on a ~$60 high-airflow case and seen considerable temperature drops in their whole system.

Heck, I'm sure in many scenarios users would be better off buying an additional $10 120mm intake fan.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; June 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old June 21, 2011, 11:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
heck, I'm sure in many scenarios users would be better off buying an additional $10 120mm intake fan.
very true, as a matter of fact just convinced one of my friends to by 2 more 120s instead of upgrading his 955BE+vendetta2 to a corsair A70 that was on special...but personally if I was building an intel system from ground up I'd invest in a good case like a Raven and a good cooler like the NH-D14 despite the premium!

However any significant money more than a H212+ on current AMD CPUs is a waste IMO...
Old June 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice read. Just a question though on the design. Doesn't pushing air through the horizontal portion of the cooler onto the RAM kind of defeat the purpose? Both portions, vertical and horizontal of the cooler are taking heat away from the cpu. Then air is pushed down through the fins, pulling the heat from the cooler. Then that heated air is pushed onto the RAM.

Mind you, thats only an issue for somebody doing some crazy over clocking. In that case you would be better off getting a memory cooler.

Just not sure its worth the price.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
Banned
F@H

i have it pulling air away from the ram,and the other one out the back.

works best in my case and the mobo components get some sucking too.