Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   i7 950 + hyper 212+ temps (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/43965-i7-950-hyper-212-temps.html)

FullArson June 6, 2011 10:09 AM

i7 950 + hyper 212+ temps
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have a i7 950 @ stock speed. The only thing I overclocked is my ram: 1600 MHz (9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V).

So before I installed my Hyper 212+ I had the stock cooler. My temps were
Idle: Around 46C
Laod: Over 82C, so I stopped the test.

I think my temps are a little bit high with the hyper 212+ cooler Installed.
I have Hyper Treading to On and Ambient temps is presently 24.5C in the room.

I have applied MX-2 thermal paste.

Idle: 40,38,39,38
Laod (small FTTs): 74,71,68,68 after 15 mins.

Any suggestion ?
Thx alot!

Hardware Monitors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware monitor Winbond W83627DHG
Voltage 0 0.99 Volts [0x7C] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.71 Volts [0xD6] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.25 Volts [0xCB] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 4.85 Volts [0xCA] (+5V)
Voltage 4 11.71 Volts [0xD2] (+12V)
Voltage 6 1.12 Volts [0x8C] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 29C (84F) [0x1D] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 31C (86F) [0x3D] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 29C (83F) [0x39] (AUXTIN)
Fan 1 1259 RPM [0x43] (CPUFANIN0)
Processors Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 8)
Number of threads 8 (max 16)
Name Intel Core i7 950
Codename Bloomfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1366 LGA (0x1)
CPUID 6.A.5
Extended CPUID 6.1A
Core Stepping D0
Technology 45 nm
Core Speed 1630.7 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 12.0 x 135.9 MHz
Rated Bus speed 3261.4 MHz
Stock frequency 3066 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 4 x 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache 8 MBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes

Turbo Mode supported, enabled
Max turbo frequency 3333 MHz
Max non-turbo ratio 23x
Max turbo ratio 25x
Max efficiency ratio 12x
TDP Limit 130 Watts
TDC Limit 110 Amps
Core TDP 110 Watts
Uncore TDP 20 Watts

Max bus number 255
Attached device PCI device at bus 255, device 2, function 1
Attached device PCI device at bus 255, device 3, function 4


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i7 950 @ stock speed
P6x48D-E Motherboard
Cooler Master hyper 212+
Patriot sector 7(Pc3-12800): 6 GB 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V 1600MHz
Antec Case DarkFleet DF-30
Nvidia MSI Cyclone GeForce GTX 460

maverick_brent June 6, 2011 10:28 AM

Mine are around the same but on an i5 750 at 3.8ghz

Your_friendly_gamer June 6, 2011 10:44 AM

I recently got an I7 950 as well. This ***** runs hot but not as hot as your temps. At full load I get up to around 55-59 degrees max on prime 95, but I have two scythe 1900 rpm fans on a megha but I have them running at around 1600rpm as they get noisy. THese just run hot, I read most of the reviews by AKG here and decided to get the Megha, put two fast fans on, if you dont care about the noise and they will drop. When I clock it to 4.2ghz then Iget up to 84-86 degrees celcius. Just go under reviews here and then go into cooling and you will find lots and lots of reviews about different coolers and you can go from there. My room temp is same as yours! Or put another fan on, Hyper 212+ fans go for like 12 bucks or so at canada computers. double that baby and see if it gets you better results, i think it would!

Your_friendly_gamer June 6, 2011 10:47 AM

I had our i5 clocked to 4.g ghz but we were using Titan Fenrir xmas edition and on prime we never hit 75 degrees! I5 750's are very good, they are very good over clocker and run a lot cooler. I was hitting but 65-68 degrees max at 3.8 ghz


Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick_brent (Post 521923)
Mine are around the same but on an i5 750 at 3.8ghz


FullArson June 7, 2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer (Post 521926)
I recently got an I7 950 as well. This ***** runs hot but not as hot as your temps. At full load I get up to around 55-59 degrees max on prime 95, but I have two scythe 1900 rpm fans on a megha but I have them running at around 1600rpm as they get noisy. THese just run hot, I read most of the reviews by AKG here and decided to get the Megha, put two fast fans on, if you dont care about the noise and they will drop. When I clock it to 4.2ghz then Iget up to 84-86 degrees celcius. Just go under reviews here and then go into cooling and you will find lots and lots of reviews about different coolers and you can go from there. My room temp is same as yours! Or put another fan on, Hyper 212+ fans go for like 12 bucks or so at canada computers. double that baby and see if it gets you better results, i think it would!

Is you HT On ?

Your_friendly_gamer June 7, 2011 08:42 PM

Yes, but if I disable Hyperthreading, at 4.3 now(yayy) I only get up to 71-73 degrees celcius on Prime with megha and 2x 1900 rpm scythe slipstream fans. But hyperthreading makes it super hot. At 4.3 I got hp to just under 89 degrees after 5 mins of prime so I stopped it

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullArson (Post 522511)
Is you HT On ?


YukonTrooper June 7, 2011 09:15 PM

Check your mounting. The direct-touch coolers are notorious for getting thermal paste pushed up into the cracks between the pipes and base, disallowing paste to spread across the whole chip.

What I like to do with the 212+ is get enough paste on to fill the cracks with pressure once the heatsink is mounted, dismount the heatsink, remove excess thermal paste blobs (you only want a super thin layer between cooler and chip), remount heatink and twist it in quarter-circles a few times to get the remaining thermal past spread evenly over the chip. You'll notice that it's actually very easy to twist the heatsink like this when it's mounted.

FullArson June 7, 2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 522532)
Check your mounting. The direct-touch coolers are notorious for getting thermal paste pushed up into the cracks between the pipes and base, disallowing paste to spread across the whole chip.

What I like to do with the 212+ is get enough paste on to fill the cracks with pressure once the heatsink is mounted, dismount the heatsink, remove excess thermal paste blobs (you only want a super thin layer between cooler and chip), remount heatink and twist it in quarter-circles a few times to get the remaining thermal past spread evenly over the chip. You'll notice that it's actually very easy to twist the heatsink like this when it's mounted.

I've tried. Nothing Improved.

WIth HT on I get
Idle: 41,36,40,36
Load(small FTTs): 74,71,68,67

With HT Off:
Idle: 41,36,40,36
Laod:64,60,61,58

Your_friendly_gamer June 7, 2011 10:27 PM

That is really hot man specially on stock. I am not an expert but, what are your temps like for example your board, graphics card etc? Do you have a good case, for air I mean? That is upsetting me too. Like I have said in my previous threads, I am coming from an I5 750 and that was so damn cool, it ran like a champ and I had never ever hit 76 ever. I used a Titan Fenrir for that.

When I was about to get my i7m 950 I asked here if I should use the fenrir or megha and AKG wrote, unless you do major overclocking, Titan should be fine. I should have listened to him. I only overclock when I am running a bench which never lasts more than 20 minutes and those benches at 4.3 ghz\z I never hit 80, always below that. And then I put it back on stock, which is really 3.2 ghz and for gaming which is alright. But I get upto to 86 or so if I am doing the prime 95 but that is a killer tho.

Have you tried adding an additional fan yet? I had one but I just gave it away last week. If you really want to, you can borrow my titan fenrir, I only used it from feb until may.

But those temps are crazy, I am not sure how if you are not ocing or anything. But read some other reviews here under cooling.

But good luck tho, lets get these temps down G!


Quote:

Originally Posted by FullArson (Post 522535)
I've tried. Nothing Improved.

WIth HT on I get
Idle: 41,36,40,36
Load(small FTTs): 74,71,68,67

With HT Off:
Idle: 41,36,40,36
Laod:64,60,61,58


FullArson June 8, 2011 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Thx for replying.

Here's my gear:

i7 950 @ stock speed
P6x48D-E Motherboard
Cooler Master hyper 212+
Patriot sector 7(Pc3-12800): 6 GB 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V 1600MHz
Antec Case DarkFleet DF-30 : http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=575&Itemid=61
Nvidia MSI Cyclone GeForce GTX 460

I'd say i have a good air flow in my case.
Presently it's 24.5C in the room.

Take a look at the picture so see temps on idles with HT Off

Thx alot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer (Post 522563)
That is really hot man specially on stock. I am not an expert but, what are your temps like for example your board, graphics card etc? Do you have a good case, for air I mean? That is upsetting me too. Like I have said in my previous threads, I am coming from an I5 750 and that was so damn cool, it ran like a champ and I had never ever hit 76 ever. I used a Titan Fenrir for that.

When I was about to get my i7m 950 I asked here if I should use the fenrir or megha and AKG wrote, unless you do major overclocking, Titan should be fine. I should have listened to him. I only overclock when I am running a bench which never lasts more than 20 minutes and those benches at 4.3 ghz\z I never hit 80, always below that. And then I put it back on stock, which is really 3.2 ghz and for gaming which is alright. But I get upto to 86 or so if I am doing the prime 95 but that is a killer tho.

Have you tried adding an additional fan yet? I had one but I just gave it away last week. If you really want to, you can borrow my titan fenrir, I only used it from feb until may.

But those temps are crazy, I am not sure how if you are not ocing or anything. But read some other reviews here under cooling.

But good luck tho, lets get these temps down G!



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 AM.