Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2011, 04:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Scythe Kaze Maru 2 w/ no threads?

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange problem. I'm just finishing up a build here, and my Scythe KazeMaru 2 140 mm fan (with 120 mm mounting holes) seems to be flawed. There are holes bored into the fan for mounting, but they are not threaded. They included screws will not work, nor will the ones with the chassis I'm working with.
w

Anyone else have any experience with these? Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious, but theres no possible way any of these fan screws are going through the holes without cutting through the plastic.

I suppose I could always fall back on rubber fan mounts and mount them that way, but that's another thing to order.

Thanks in advance guys
Old May 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No computer fan on the market comes with threaded holes, you thread them yourself with the included screws. If the screws won't work, you're either doing something wrong or using the wrong screws.
Old May 24, 2011, 05:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well - you learn something new everyday!

In the past year and a half I've been building, I've never had to thread my own fans (Gelid, Feser Triebwerk, and Noiseblocker fans all don't require threading due to rubber). Haha, I don't even know if I should be embarrassed or proud that I've never had fans without threads until my third system.

Regardless, thanks for the info - I've since used a much better screwdriver to seat the threads - the included ones weren't tapped screws, so I suppose it made matters more difficult. Problem solved though, back to radiators and rubber mounts.