Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2011, 10:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B vs Titan Fenrir

Hey all,

I am going to be getting an I7 950 very soon. I was wondering what would be a better cooler, if I clock it to 4.0 ghz, Titan or the Prolimatech Megahalems. I just purchased it from NCIX as it was on sale. I have the fenrir already, but was hoping if I could get some suggestions. Also, Prolimatech Megahalems does not come with any fans, but I am thinking of putting a cooler master sickle flow, its 2000 rpm. Prolimatech Megahalems has 6 heat pipes and I have never held it. But Titan has 4, but they are massive.

Any thoughts are welcome. This is also going to be in a very well ventilated antec 1200 case.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2011, 05:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Check out

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler Review
Titan Fenrir and Skalli CPU Coolers Review

Hopefully gives you some idea as to where the Prolimatech and the Titan falls under
Old May 16, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Both are very good coolers. IF you already have the fernrir, I would try it FIRST before buying the mega. TBH, the mega will win as it can handle TWO fans. 99.99% of the time two good good fans > 1 good fan...but where you are only going for a moderate (at most) OC the fenrir will serve you well. Its not like the dif is going to be night and day at moderate loads.

You are making a smart move by using a CM R4. They are great fans with insanely good (for 25mm thick) static pressure. If you have to only run one fan....there are few 25mm thick ones out there which are better in its noise envelope. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 16, 2011, 10:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you AKG, yes they are a bit noisy. I bought the mega and actually just received it today. I ordered it from ncix, and they are good with shipping. It was on sale, and it is my first real build and with Antec 1200 case, it does not have a window on the bottom so I can't just change the coolers without actually taking out the whole motherboard. Those are good fans huh, and they are bit noisy at full speed. I opened the mega and as you were saying about dual fanning that, it had a total of 4 metal holders for the fans, so I am gonna drop by at canadacomputers and pick up another coolermaster sickleflow and dual fan that baby lol. I will definitely let you know how it goes, just waiting on my main parts now, which is the mobo ram and the actual cpu.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Both are very good coolers. IF you already have the fernrir, I would try it FIRST before buying the mega. TBH, the mega will win as it can handle TWO fans. 99.99% of the time two good good fans > 1 good fan...but where you are only going for a moderate (at most) OC the fenrir will serve you well. Its not like the dif is going to be night and day at moderate loads.

You are making a smart move by using a CM R4. They are great fans with insanely good (for 25mm thick) static pressure. If you have to only run one fan....there are few 25mm thick ones out there which are better in its noise envelope. :)
Old May 16, 2011, 10:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

wow sashi, thank you for that. at 3.8 ghz mega is about 11 degrees cooler. Yes I think I have decided, I am gonna go with that and put the fenrir on sale or something.

Thank you so much that actually helped me lots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsashixx View Post
Check out

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler Review
Titan Fenrir and Skalli CPU Coolers Review

Hopefully gives you some idea as to where the Prolimatech and the Titan falls under