Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2011, 08:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default EVGA - Always getting in the way...

...of larger coolers.

The good old EVGA Classified, the first one that came out. Remember that? It was so exciting to pull that thing outta the box, to take in all the blacks and reds... and that extremely tall heatsink right below the CPU socket, with its red, pulsing-heartbeat E-shaped light.

That thing is annoying, right now.

I'd like to know from anyone who has had this board (or one like it) just what kind of CPU heatsink they've managed to fit on it. To date, I still have a lame, bent-up stock sink in there. One caveat of mine is that I have the Corsair Dominator GT line of RAM, with that nifty little cooling fan.

I'd really love to hear that I could use some of Prolimatech's lineup, like the Armageddon. Better yet, the CM V6GT, though I've heard good and bad there. I love the numbers and the way it looks, but the noise... the fans would have to be controlled, I think. Or just replaced.

I don't trust my own measurements, is all. I trust consumer reviews on sites like Newegg even less, since everyone and their pet gerbil on that site has a "High Tech Level" and almost all of them speak with the vocabulary of a 5-year-old.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any available opinions, facts, or ideas on what's possible here.

P.S.: Some of you may remember me. If you do, you may remember the "Dragnipur" build thread. Sadly, it's likely to remain forever unfinished. Given a couple more years I'll make something new. We'll see.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm still using the original Evga Classified 759 Board (Limited Edition with NF200) and I have no problems with my huge TRUE in push / pull along with all 6 RAM Slots loaded up with Dominators and the Dominator Fan sitting nicely on top....thier is enough room!

Old May 9, 2011, 09:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Very nice, sir! You've just added the TRUE to my list of possibles. Is it touching that heatsink, there? Can't tell from the pic, but it looks like it's trying to eat it. How well is it cooling, sucking its air off of the RAM like that?

I have to say, I wish I could afford what I'm seeing in those pictures. Triple 580's. . . very nice.
Also, what is that black box thing on the right, there? Just a cable organizer?

So, anyone else have the same kind of setup with a large cooler? How well do the Prolimatech's fit, or the CM line? (specifically that V6GT)

Judging from RJ's pictures, it's perfectly possible to fit just about any of those in there, but I'd greatly prefer knowing precisely what does and does not fit. Pictures definitely appreciated.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:12 PM
Banned
F@H

or an h70 vs stock could be an option? :)

ps maybe we remember you :D
ps2 time to offload those 295's and get a 580 for now? :) the difference from the 295's sale shouldnt be too mucho
Old May 10, 2011, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cooling is excellent with my 980X running @ 4.2, RAM @ 1620 MHz, nothing directly touches anything. Megahelems will also fit, the Classy can handle the largest of Coolers still leaving all 6 RAM slots useable!
Unsure what "Black box" you're referring to, to the right of the Mobo isan air intake vent and to the right of that are the HD cages!
Old May 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

to answer your question about the v6gt it is very quiet. just plug it into the pwm header and you shouldnt have a problem. the fans are actually some of the best ive seen before. if only cm sold the fans individually i would be oh so happy to replace all of my fans with them but they dont
Old May 10, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
to answer your question about the v6gt it is very quiet. just plug it into the pwm header and you shouldnt have a problem. the fans are actually some of the best ive seen before. if only cm sold the fans individually i would be oh so happy to replace all of my fans with them but they dont
V6GT can get VERY noisy under heavy loads.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
V6GT can get VERY noisy under heavy loads.
My roommate has a V6GT and his wasn't any more noisy then my CM212+.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It looks like RJ forgot to mount a motherboard in his case.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Dangtx, I looked into the H70, but I'd rather not spend quite that much. I think I'll stick to air for now, and perhaps eventually a full W/C will make its way into my case, as originally planned. As far as dropping the 295's for a 580 or two... that just needs a little bit of time, is all.

Haha, I see what it is now. That air vent looks like it has a bunch of wires running into it, but now I can tell what's going on.

Krajee, you are absolutely right. RJ, is there an actual motherboard under there somewhere, or did you bolt all of that directly to the tray?

So, a quick rundown from my end. The TRUE obviously fits, and the dimensions I found go:

________________TRUE = 132 x 63 x 160.5
(132 x 113 x 160.5 including fans)

Prolimatech Armageddon = 144 x 50 x 160.3
__________Megahalems = 130 x 74 x 158.7
Can that Mega fit push/pull with two 25mm fans? Because if it can, then the...

CoolerMaster_____V6 GT = 131 x 120 x 165
... can obviously fit. Or does the 6mm difference matter? I believe the 120 is just including the plastic fan brackets, right? My worry is that the V6 would be getting all touchy with the RAM, at that point. Heh.

I can't help leaning towards the V6GT. I think it's beautiful, and that it would compliment my case perfectly. Though I wouldn't mind the Armageddon for its "Quiet" factor with those big 140's, I can't even find the dumb thing for sale. Even then, attached to the pwm the fans should remain relatively calm unless needed on the V6GT. . .

Something I should have said at the beginning: My computer is currently disassembled and sitting in multiple small boxes at the moment. I just moved, y'see. I can't exactly do the measurements myself, and like I said, I wouldn't trust my measurements anyway.

Last edited by crispex; May 11, 2011 at 01:26 PM.