Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   need help with heatsink! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/42722-need-help-heatsink.html)

Borg April 21, 2011 11:28 AM

need help with heatsink!

I'm adding 2 120mm fans to my Thermalright Ultra Extreme heatsink. I have no idea which way the fans should fan and how to connect them. I used to have two of those wire clips but I can't find one so now I only have ONE! UGH!!!!!!!! :sad:

I think I should have ordered those fan holders that clips on. It looked like a good design except that it makes the entire setup (fan and casing) stick out more. But, at least it looks like it is an easy process to clip on the side part to the heatsink. Then you're done!

I'm not sure what to do now. I have no idea how people get the clip at the bottom in any of those holes in the bottom of the heatsink.... you have to be kidding me! I guess this is done when you buy the heatsink and before it goes in the computer. But, what can you do when it's already installed? :-(

I have some pictures of what everything looks like. Should I post it? I am not sure how or what hosting site to use.

Maybe someone can post their setup pics?

It might be helpful. I have the following hardware:

Antec 300, Asus P5Q mobo, Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink, TWO Coolermaster Blademaster 120mm fans

I thought it should be easy but I think aftermarket coolers/heatsinks are a pain!!!! :sad: :blarg:

I tried using Google Images for some ideas but it didn't help much.

I have some spare wire I was going to use to attach the other fan but not sure exactly how I should do it. Since I only have one clip, one side of the other fan needs to be attached too. :-/

Anyone either A) bored; B) want to show off their expertise and inventiveness and/or C) feeling particularly sympathetic ....today? :biggrin:

enaberif April 21, 2011 11:34 AM

fans both point to the back of the case and exhaust OUT

Borg April 21, 2011 11:57 AM

Ok. Then, the front 'face' of the fan is facing the heatsink on the one side and the back fan's face is facing the exhaust fan?

Also, the Corsair Power ATX 8(?) pin cable is SOOOOO short... it's in the way. I think once the back fan is attached to the heatsink, it's going to be a tight route around the fan or it will be pushed into the mobo or too close to it?

Why do PSU manufacturers have such SHORT ATX cables?!!? Has anyone ever posted that in the RANT section?!? :angry2:

I hope this is a good way to do this. :sad:

Borg April 21, 2011 03:26 PM

Hey, why no more replies?!? This should be the most popular topic on the forum right now!!!! :haha:

I am thinking of getting a 8-pin extension cable for the ATX 8-pin connector... does that make sense?!? I think it's a bit short and if it was a bit longer, at least, it can be easier to re-route.

I am wondering what people do with their 24-pin EATXPWR (power cables) cables, though!!!! I have mine routed in a way that it's going over video and sound cards. This cable seems a bit short, too!

Any advice on this? I would like to improve the rat's nest a bit since I'm messing around with cables and connecting fans to improve air flow and cooling anyway so...

Then I need to attach the fans... with wire or......or zip ties (I noticed on some sites or images of people using zip ties).

H-E-L-P?!? :sad: :blarg:

enaberif April 21, 2011 03:39 PM

You should have NO problems with the 8pin ATX cable in that case at all.

I've setup a Corsair AX750 psu in a haf 922 and it works fine albeit anything bigger and it'd be too short too.

Supergrover April 21, 2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg (Post 508342)
Hey, why no more replies?!? This should be the most popular topic on the forum right now!!!! :haha:

I am thinking of getting a 8-pin extension cable for the ATX 8-pin connector... does that make sense?!? I think it's a bit short and if it was a bit longer, at least, it can be easier to re-route.

I am wondering what people do with their 24-pin EATXPWR (power cables) cables, though!!!! I have mine routed in a way that it's going over video and sound cards. This cable seems a bit short, too!

Any advice on this? I would like to improve the rat's nest a bit since I'm messing around with cables and connecting fans to improve air flow and cooling anyway so...

Then I need to attach the fans... with wire or......or zip ties (I noticed on some sites or images of people using zip ties).

H-E-L-P?!? :sad: :blarg:

Yup zipties will work just fine if you lost the wire clips while not with that HS I have used them before a few times without a hitch.

Borg May 15, 2011 06:55 PM

HELP! PLEASE ADVISE?!?

Hey, I hope it's ok to re-start this thread!

I am having major difficulties with my cpu fans... only one wire clip so someone helped me with it but used wires. I am not sure I like it, though.

I need some advice! HELP! :sad:

What would you do if you're keeping this system and wanting the fans?

I thought I should take the mobo out. It's really a hassle to work with this hardware, imho.

We put the fans on the heatsink beforehand but now the 8-pin cable is EXTREMELY difficult to plug in!

I can provide pictures. Would that help?

I'm so frustrated... I am thinking of ordering wire clips for the 'middle' fan (aka 'pull fan?') and a fan holder for the 'push' fan? That way I can use the wire clips for one fan and the easier fan holder for the one on the outside. A fan holder in the middle would probably obstruct the 8-pin connector too much?

Also, I think it would have been easier if I took the motherboard out of the case and did all this. I was suggesting to but my helper said I then have to disconnect everything. I was being too lazy, I think.

This case, the Antec 300, is a pain to work with since it's so tight and the Asus mobo has the power connectors in horrible places.

Can anyone suggest some options or ideas for me? The 'current work' looks a bit crummy and I wanted a 'clean looking' case with a neat layout and that isn't happening either!

The other idea would have been to use zip ties which was my original idea. One at or near the top and one near the bottom? Or one long one in the middle? I thought the way this is done will determine how much noise gets created from vibration but experienced builders would have a better idea.

Anyway...

H-E-L-P? :doh:

P.S. I could provide a picture or two? It's a crappy setup, though (kinda embarrassed! ;-) ). What would be the best way to upload the pictures? Image host? (Imageshack?). Or the VB Image host option here?

P.S.S. The heatsink is on the mobo but it's not inadvisable to take the mobo out for that reason, right?

_dangtx_ May 15, 2011 07:07 PM

pictures would def help!

dont be,mine probably looks ways worse haha

Borg May 15, 2011 07:42 PM

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...08eae76edf.jpg

If I did something incorrect with the image, let me know.

ZZLEE May 15, 2011 07:56 PM

4 Pin fan splitter Newegg.ca - GELID Solutions 350 mm PWM Y Cable Model CA-PWM