Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
Top Prospect

Default 140mm fans on a Venomous X?

I'm thinking of getting a Thermalright Venomous X and am trying to decide on what fans to get with it. According to the product description, the Venomous X comes with clips to mount 140mm fans. Would mounting 140s have any benefit in terms of cooling compared to 120s?
Old April 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just boxed up my Ven-X (swapped to a NH-D14 this morning).

I honestly can't say I'd see how it would make a big difference due to the design of the Venomous-X and I find it hard to believe it would mount a 140mm fan comfortably regardless of what the specs say. You may actually end up finding it's more trouble than it's worth.

After typing the above paragraph, I did some quick research and came upon this:

YouTube - THERMALRIGHT VENOMOUS X 140MM FAN INSTALL

Old April 17, 2011, 06:17 PM
MVP

i used to have a venemous x black with 2x 140mm scythe kaze fans....decent performer (don't think its the most optimized) but looked rly good!
Old April 18, 2011, 03:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
i used to have a venemous x black with 2x 140mm scythe kaze fans....decent performer (don't think its the most optimized) but looked rly good!
I was thinking of a very similar set up. Do you remember what kind of temperatures you were getting with that?
Old April 18, 2011, 09:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristhrottle View Post
I was thinking of a very similar set up. Do you remember what kind of temperatures you were getting with that?
Dude, temperature all depends on your configuration. I was getting maybe 69-70C under stress on an i7 920 @ 3.8ghz (1.34v) and room temps of about 25C me thinks!

When i say it wasn't optimized is cause running a single fan at 50% or dual fans at 100% gave about a 1C difference at most so the dual fan setup for this cooler is overkill (had it running for silence most of the time anyways). With some coolers like the H212+ u can rly see a difference by adding more/faster fans but ive noticed with higher end coolers, as long as u got somewhat of an airflow they can perform good (ofc i dont consider loud trash like the frio or the h70 as higher end)!

Keep in mind temps will vary depending on ambient/setup...I mean if you are running an AMD chip (like i currently am) temps will be much lower!

P.S. think I used the paste that came with it, maybe if I had used AS5 like I currently do, it would have had a greater impact than using more fans...if anything if you are going dual fans get something quiet (you wont have to worry about static pressure as with dual fans u effectively double pressure) rather than trying to get more cooling done on this heatsink!
Old April 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
Top Prospect

Ah thank you. That information is very helpful. I'm going to go for it!