Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Exclamation Changing cooling config. NEED HELP PLZ!

I got one of my 4890's on the way back from XFX (It isn't broke thank god) with the other sitting here with an accellero S1 on it and some RAM and VRM Heatsinks on it. After doing some searching, I found that apparently its better if I use the RAM/VRM Plate from the stock heatsink as opposed to these heatsinks (refer to pic to see what i mean)

Now one thing I wanna know involves the thermal pads on the 4890' stock heatsink. What should I do about them? should I remove them and put on some thermal paste, or keep them on? (see below)
Attached Images

Last edited by Keltron 3030; April 13, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old April 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would think if the thermal pads are still in good shape you could still use them. They are a lot cleaner and easier to work with than paste in these situations.

That being said NCIX and such should still carry Thermal Tape by 3M , or something similar so if they are in bad shape cut and replace with new ones.

I know nothing about which cooler does better, one would think with the Accellero down drafting onto the card that it would be more efficent.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So I can just clean off my VRM's and RAM chips, and then place the block on it as is?
Old April 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

From the looks of it yeah, so long as the pads look to be in good shape I don't see why not.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 13, 2011, 08:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'd keep the thermal pads as they have different thickness and sometimes the heatsink would not make direct contact if you were using only thermal paste.
Old April 14, 2011, 06:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
I'd keep the thermal pads as they have different thickness and sometimes the heatsink would not make direct contact if you were using only thermal paste.
Very good point, that was something I completely forgot about.

ST

Old April 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
This was one of the things keeping me from taking off the tape.

I'll get to cleaning off the ram and vrm's as soon as i can get my hands on some acetone/isopropyl alcohol/something-to-clean-them-off-with
Old April 14, 2011, 03:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

70-99% Iso is perfect. Don't use acetone.

ST

Old April 14, 2011, 04:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
70-99% Iso is perfect. Don't use acetone.

ST

Luckily I just found 71% isopropyl and I was iffy on acetone but read about other ppl using it. Is it not as good? n00b ovrflow much?
Old April 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You don't want to use acetone because acetone chemically reacts with certain substances, in some cases potentially even your PCB. Just don't. Now as for rubbing alcohol, 71% should work fine, but higher concentrations work better is all. Don't worry about the 29% water, it won't fry your parts. Make sure everything is clean and dry before you re-apply TIM or thermal pads or whatever, and when you have you card plugged in/turned on again, don;t worry about it at all.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One