Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default So I Want A New Cooler...

And basically as far as choice goes it's between dual-tower ones like TR Silver Arrow/NH-D14 and single (more/less) tower ones like Prolimatech (anything "mega" with your choice of "super" prefix and/or "shadow" and "-halems" as suffix) and TR's Venomous-X, etc. etc. I'm upgrading from a V6GT which I broke (the means which are against my better judgement to say on a forum...). Yeah it was nice while it lasted but I WANT BIGGER/BETTER/FASTER. My i7 950 is already 4.2ghz at like 85C which is too high for me. I want 4.5 at 80. for 24/7. I gotta fold.

Dual-Tower Coolers:

TR Silver Arrow
NH-D14

Pros:

- Dual tower, great performance. 'Nuff said.
- Silver Arrow has 70lbs. hold-down bolt like many single-tower coolers have.

Cons:

- Frickin' BIG. Like BIG. I dunno if any will fit in my Li-Li PC-A77F
- I HATE HATE HATE NH-D14 POO FANS! I dont really like the Silver Arrow fans either.
- ^^ Reading reviews which say that fans which come with D14/Silv. Aro. fans are "most efficient" for respective cooler. Uh oh...

Other Thoughts:

- Basically buying any of these means needing to purchase better looking fans. Yeah, I'll pay for my stuff to look good. As far as fans go, they need to be plain or match black an' blue theme. I like these:

Xigmatek XLF-1454
Scythe KazeSomething or other.- Highest CFM, static pressure?
Gelid Wing 14 UV Blue

Single Tower Coolers:

Thermalright Venomous X
Megahalems Rev. B
Super Mega
Mega Shadow

Pros:

- Pretty much guarantee'd it'll fit. Few exceptions.
- Tons of options as far as fans go...
- Some are black nickel plated. I liek.
- Some have

Cons:

- Performance potentially not as high as dual-tower coolers. Remember I'm pushing i7 to limits.
- Can still be somewhat fugly.
- Like 90 different types of Prolimatech *Something* "Mega" *Something*

Other Thoughts:

- I wanna buy better fans, as usual. Naturally they're gonna be Deltas or something. Otherwise if I'm tempted enough I'll get Gelid Wing 12 or something. However, as for choices in badass fans:

Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM
Delta 4000RPM PWM
Or This.

I would even consider looking into something like an H70 with some potentially better fans mounted on it. Basically I want the best cooler which shows its muscle at the highest overclocks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 5, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Are you sure you want 3000/4000RPM fans?
Old April 5, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A bigger dual tower cooler with higher mounting pressure will shave a few degrees off your current temps, but nothing very noticeable. If you don't care about noise, just buy the Delta's and stick them on any high performance cooler. Otherwise you should just go under water.
Old April 5, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't really care about noise. Thing is that I'm replacing my V6GT which I broke, and I want an upgrade. Besides, it'll get its use until I go under water and then afterward whatever cooler I go for is going in another 1155 build I'm planning.

Silver Arrow seems to have higher mounting pressure than NH-D14. And if I can find high-speed 140mm's...

As for wanting 3000+RPM fans, I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT [to leave you far behind...] lol
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 6, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, if you're coming from regular fans and you decide to go to 3000+ RPM fans you'll definitely see a drop of some kind. Are you looking for high RPM fans for case fans or for your CPU cooler or both? You say initially you want new fans for your cooler and then list standard RPM fans but then in other thoughts you say you want high RPM fans.
Old April 6, 2011, 10:25 AM
Banned
F@H

how about the hr-02? im pimping this cooler a bunch and dont see you ppl biting much..beast!
Old April 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't get much bigger than this: Scythe SCSO-1000 SUSANOO 12 Heat Pipe CPU Cooler - "LARGEST COOLER EVER!" Products Model: SCSO-1000 [SCSO-1000] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

But really, why not grab a Corsair H70? It'll probably get you the best performance without building a fullblown loop.
Old April 6, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Well, if you're coming from regular fans and you decide to go to 3000+ RPM fans you'll definitely see a drop of some kind. Are you looking for high RPM fans for case fans or for your CPU cooler or both? You say initially you want new fans for your cooler and then list standard RPM fans but then in other thoughts you say you want high RPM fans.
Generally they'll be for the cooler. Stock case fans on my Li-Li I'm happy with. If I do decide to upgrade to high RPM fans for the case I'll need to buy brackets since the fans are currently mounted in the HDD cages and won't accommodate a 38mm fan. I'll also need to replace the top panel since there's only 140mm mounts in the top panel.

In other words, I was only thinking of getting badass fans if I go with a single-tower cooler. I was thinking I can get away with looks over performance if I get dual-tower, since there's little availability of 140mm high RPM fans anyway PLUS I have an extra tower to play with. Whereas, if I go with single tower I'll "bite the bullet" and spring for higher performance rather, than looks, simply cos I can and I want.

@JD:

I was considering an H70 to get my chip wet before I go for full-on watercooling. However, AFAIC, no self-contained loop will -EVER- be able to surpass the absolute raw cooling power a real full-blown loop holds. Regardless of what cooler I get for now, I'm getting a WC loop in the summertime. 'Till then, I want the best air cooling has to offer.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 6, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B CPU Heatsink Cooler LGA1156 LGA1155 LGA1366 LGA775 - Prolimatech - Megahalems Rev. B - in Canada

50 $
Old April 7, 2011, 07:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
I was considering an H70 to get my chip wet before I go for full-on watercooling. However, AFAIC, no self-contained loop will -EVER- be able to surpass the absolute raw cooling power a real full-blown loop holds. Regardless of what cooler I get for now, I'm getting a WC loop in the summertime. 'Till then, I want the best air cooling has to offer.
I think if you strapped 1 or 2 of those Delta's onto it though the results would be better than a heatsink with Deltas.

Though can't be certain since I don't think anybody buys a H70 to have it run at ear-piecing noise levels