Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I think if you strapped 1 or 2 of those Delta's onto it though the results would be better than a heatsink with Deltas.

Though can't be certain since I don't think anybody buys a H70 to have it run at ear-piecing noise levels
Actually you're likely right, due to the fact that most heatsinks have their fin spacing/design optimized for sub 2000rpm speeds. Law of diminishing returns is fairly evident in high rpm tests that AKG does for CPU heatsink reviews.
Old April 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Coolit ECO 240MM with some Scythe Kaze's on it in push/pull?

That might do much better to surpass the best air-cooling solution out there.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 7, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

@JD: Law of diminishing returns maybe, but still it's not the greatest return I'm looking for.

@ST: Thing about the 240 is that I would have to either replace the top panel on my A77F, or get some kind of a shroud that would work for it. Not to mention that once I do, hopefully I'll have enough room.

Hey actually general question...since the H series coolers are radiators and thus have densely packed fins versus air coolers, would they benefitmore from high speed fans?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 8, 2011, 07:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Hey actually general question...since the H series coolers are radiators and thus have densely packed fins versus air coolers, would they benefitmore from high speed fans?
That was the point of my post and ilya's above.

Heatsinks aren't designed for high-airflow/pressure fans, they're made for medium/low speed fans to keep quiet due to the wide spacing between fins. Radiators have much denser fins so a high-airflow/pressure fan should (in theory) have a much larger effect.

It obviously depends a lot on your ambient temperatures too, but it's more likely you can get "cold" air from outside the case with a radiator compared to using "warm" air in the case and forcing it over a heatsink at 100+ CFM.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, you really are getting close to the point where water is the way to go....hell you probably are at that point. ;)

IF you want to go for insane OC on air...get the D14. Its simply the best when you stick 3 fans on it. You already got two killer good fans with the GT, find a third CM S4 fan and laugh all the way to insane OCs. If you cant find another S4, drop a R4 on it as the third fan.

With that being said...If you want the absolute most, from your CPU you really are going to have to go to water. Go with an external rad setup...get a 3 (or 4) bay rad + a good water block and decent pump and laugh all the way to even HIGHER OCs with lower temps. As a bonus the heat will already be outside your case. :)

YMMV but thats what I would do.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 8, 2011, 09:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Honestly, you really are getting close to the point where water is the way to go....hell you probably are at that point. ;)

IF you want to go for insane OC on air...get the D14. Its simply the best when you stick 3 fans on it. You already got two killer good fans with the GT, find a third CM S4 fan and laugh all the way to insane OCs. If you cant find another S4, drop a R4 on it as the third fan.

With that being said...If you want the absolute most, from your CPU you really are going to have to go to water. Go with an external rad setup...get a 3 (or 4) bay rad + a good water block and decent pump and laugh all the way to even HIGHER OCs with lower temps. As a bonus the heat will already be outside your case. :)

YMMV but thats what I would do.

Or AkG, if they are still available through someone, a Coolit Freezone Elite would work wonders for his OC.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 8, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Now debating between NH-D14 w/ triple badass 140mm's on it, or H70 with two ultra-badass 120x38mm's on it...

There's not many "delta" 140mm's I could mount on the D14, but lots of flashy and still pretty high CFM 140mm's I could mount instead. Of course there's also the S4's as AkG mentioned....

I think between these two it's almost as if it comes down to looks vs. performance.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 9, 2011, 05:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup, H70 for looks....D14 for performance...assuming your internal case air flow doesnt suck, in which case the H70 may be better.

Good luck and tell us how it goes. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 9, 2011, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stop searhcing look at this price
Computers Canada - Best Deal on Computers, Computer Parts, Laptops, Hard Drives, PC Hardware & Accessories, NH-D14, Noctua, Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P14 140MM & NF-P12 120MM Fan , Computers Canada - Best

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 9, 2011, 04:51 PM
Banned
F@H

their flat rate shipping is the lowest ive seen. interesting.