Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2011, 11:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Replacing the fan on this, would it work?

I want to switch the fans in this,
Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Mobile Rack | CSE-M35T-1
For these since there faster and move more air,
Newegg.ca - VANTEC TD9238H 92mm Case Fan
Now my question is, do you think they would work? It looks like the normal 3 pin fan connector on the enclosure so in theory it should work right? Also do you think I would be voiding the warranty by replacing the fan? Here is the pinout of what the 3 pin looks like on the enclosure as well,

So what do you think? Is this worth the swap would you think? I've read a couple reviews that say the stock fans don't keep the drives that cool and make alot of noise. I have also emailed super micro about this but it says it can take up to a week for a reply :(

Also think it would work as this fan gets power from the 4 pin molex but has a 3 pin for the RPM sensor. So I was wondering if the enclosures fan failure might go off cause it's not drawing power from the unit but only using the RPM sensor?

Last edited by Blu; April 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:27 PM
Banned
F@H

if they pull the same amount of juice and fit in there? why not.
Old April 3, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

you can probably disable the failure thing in the BIOS anyways, but any 3-pin fan should work in there.
Old April 3, 2011, 02:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you look at the table on that SuperMicro page it says: 92x32mm 4-pin PWM fan assembly for M34 and M35

So any 92x32mm PWM fan should work. Not sure if that Vantec one really will though as it's not PWM. However it seems to only plug into a non-PWM fan header, so maybe it'll be fine.

However the included San Ace fan should be adequate and of good quality. Hard drives don't need much in the way of cooling anyways.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well if you look at the table on that SuperMicro page it says: 92x32mm 4-pin PWM fan assembly for M34 and M35

So any 92x32mm PWM fan should work. Not sure if that Vantec one really will though as it's not PWM. However it seems to only plug into a non-PWM fan header, so maybe it'll be fine.

However the included San Ace fan should be adequate and of good quality. Hard drives don't need much in the way of cooling anyways.
I'll see how the stock fans do, I keep forgetting about that google research that said cooling hard drives never made any difference in keeping them alive longer and such, that it was just as likely to die as a hot hard drive.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:53 PM
Banned
F@H

do point me to that article.

ive tested the hot vs cold theories myself, and let me tell you, dropping a drive in an enclosure with no cooling
capacieties whatsoever and running it 24/7 will have adverse effects on its health,over time. and im not talking about 30c vs 40c here :)
Old April 3, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
do point me to that article.

ive tested the hot vs cold theories myself, and let me tell you, dropping a drive in an enclosure with no cooling
capacieties whatsoever and running it 24/7 will have adverse effects on its health,over time. and im not talking about 30c vs 40c here :)
Here.

TLDR: basically as long as you stay under 50-60c, your drives will run longer when they're warmer. Even then it's not dangerous to run drives at 50c. Keep in mind, most modern drives have a difficult time getting past 30-40c in open air.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
Banned
F@H

right. thats what im talking about. thanks for the link.

now try to 'cook' yer drives around or over 60c and see what happens :) were talking about desktop drives here.