Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Will the Noctua NH-C14 fit with my RAM?

Because the D14 won't fit cuz of my ram, the C14 will according to a youtube vid
I have: Asus P6X58D PREMIUM
OCZ Reaper 3x2 6GB kit
The OCZ's are about 7cm in heigth,
Will I be able to fully use the c14?
Image mobo (Large image, so I'm not posting the image here)
Image RAM (small enough to not fill your screen)

Video where it shows that the cooler will fit:
YouTube - EXCLUSIVE Noctua NH-C14 Review

I think it will fit. And you guys? Is it possible though to have your RAM either in 1,3,5 OR 2,4,6?
Old March 14, 2011, 10:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You probably won't be able to use the bottom fan.
Old March 14, 2011, 10:50 AM
Banned
F@H

under? no chance, at least from the video. on the outer slots? maybe
Old March 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
MVP

it will either not fit all together or if it fits u can get both fans on...mind telling us the distance from the mounting holes on ur mobo to ur first populated ram dimm slot?
Old March 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Can I also have it in slots 2 - 4 - 6 instead of 1 - 3 -5 ?
Old March 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
MVP

its 2-4-6 is doable too but it will come with a performance hit although imo its quite negligible!
Old March 14, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

First off, your board will fit the NH-D14. However that compatibility list assumes you are only using the primary memory slots, (blue ones on your board, further away from CPU socket) and you may also have to move the front NF-P12 fan to another location.

Second, the NH-C14 might not fit with your RAM, unlike what the video suggests. The tallest heatsinks the C14 was designed for were the Corsair Dominators, since very few sticks get any taller without ridiculously exotic cooling. The Reapers are a good centimetre taller. The reason the guy could fit the Reapers in the video was because the RAM slots were far enough away from the CPU socket, if you look closely the video shows that the Reapers are too tall for the C14.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
its 2-4-6 is doable too but it will come with a performance hit although imo its quite negligible!
Using the wrong RAM slots doesn't have anything to do with performance, unless you count a no POST as a performance impact. 9/10 modern boards these days assume you might install a giant cooler like the NH-D14 and place the primary memory slots further away from the CPU socket for more compatibility since most people won't be filling their slots for a plethora of reasons.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
MVP

Ur probably right on that ilya, I havn't bothered check up on that in forever. although ive already had a scenario with some old generic C2D borad from a gateway computer where max stable OC on the memory was higher on the recommended slots over the alternative set of slots...shouldnt be too hard to fix that up for mobo manufacturers tho.

anyways checked up on ur mobo and the noctua's dimensions (well deduced from that video and the p8p67 dimensions) and since ur motherboard has the ram slots about the same distance from the socket it should be quite a close call. id personally not take the risk and rather go with something I know will fit with more give.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/...15b_z.jpg?zz=1

the prolimatech megahalems with a pair of noctua fans should be just as quiet and effective imo and much less of a hassle. (also if u hadn't noticed that picture is of that cooler on same motherboard as u)

and if the megahalems (which is quite fat) fits pretty much most other rifle coolers should fit, and there are some quite good ones out there.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
Ur probably right on that ilya, I havn't bothered check up on that in forever. although ive already had a scenario with some old generic C2D borad from a gateway computer where max stable OC on the memory was higher on the recommended slots over the alternative set of slots...shouldnt be too hard to fix that up for mobo manufacturers tho.

anyways checked up on ur mobo and the noctua's dimensions (well deduced from that video and the p8p67 dimensions) and since ur motherboard has the ram slots about the same distance from the socket it should be quite a close call. id personally not take the risk and rather go with something I know will fit with more give.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/...15b_z.jpg?zz=1

the prolimatech megahalems with a pair of noctua fans should be just as quiet and effective imo and much less of a hassle. (also if u hadn't noticed that picture is of that cooler on same motherboard as u)

and if the megahalems (which is quite fat) fits pretty much most other rifle coolers should fit, and there are some quite good ones out there.
So, basicly Prolima megahalem+2 noctua fans = NH-D14 but smaller??
Old March 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
MVP

not exactly but off by only a few degrees...im not saying u should get the megahalems, just saying even some of the biggest rifle design coolers will fit clear of the ram and there are some quite good ones out there.

for example the Tt Venomous X is toe to to with the noctua on anything lower than 1.35v on an i7 (after that the noctua does start pulling away but at that point on most i7s ur giving massive voltage for only minor OC boosts so the max OC on the Tt isnt too shabby next to a noctua)!

Thermalright Venomous X Black @ 59$

Last edited by BrutalGreen; March 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM.