Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2011, 05:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Thermal Tape

Wasn't really sure where to post this

But I was wondering whats the best place to buy thermal tape from. I just bought a arctic accelero xtreme plus and I don't want to use the liquid adhesive that comes with it.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Dazmode has quite a few choices: THERMAL SOLUTIONS : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Not really sure what to suggest as I'm not sure what you're using it on. Depending on the gap you may need a thicker pad or if it's a flat surface then the 3M 8815 will probably do.

However it's usually best to use thermal paste on the core/GPU/CPU. Arctic Cooling's MX2/3/4 compounds are all non-conductive so there isn't any need to worry. I'm sure the paste they provided is non-conductive as well.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Dazmode has quite a few choices: THERMAL SOLUTIONS : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Not really sure what to suggest as I'm not sure what you're using it on. Depending on the gap you may need a thicker pad or if it's a flat surface then the 3M 8815 will probably do.

However it's usually best to use thermal paste on the core/GPU/CPU. Arctic Cooling's MX2/3/4 compounds are all non-conductive so there isn't any need to worry. I'm sure the paste they provided is non-conductive as well.
im using ID DIAMOND thermal compound on the actual gpu itself but i need to attach these heatsinks to the vram
Arctic Cooling ArcticVR004 Arctic Cooling VR004 VGA Heat Sink For NVIDIA GTX480 from mwave.com
Old March 9, 2011, 05:56 PM
Allstar

thermal tape do not hold very much, if you don't plan to remove the heat sink latter you can use the epoxy thermal paste, it's 2 tubes you mix them and it hold permanently the heat sink, I always use them as the last thing I want it's a memory burn because the heat sink fall.

But be advice thatís a permanent solution, you canít reverse it.

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive 2 X 2.5 Grams - ARCTIC SILVER - AATA-5G - in Canada

Old March 9, 2011, 06:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
thermal tape do not hold very much, if you don't plan to remove the heat sink latter you can use the epoxy thermal paste, it's 2 tubes you mix them and it hold permanently the heat sink, I always use them as the last thing I want it's a memory burn because the heat sink fall.

But be advice thatís a permanent solution, you canít reverse it.

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive 2 X 2.5 Grams - ARCTIC SILVER - AATA-5G - in Canada

that's one reason i don't want to use the adhesive. Just in case my card goes bad want to be able to put the stock heatsink back on and RMA it.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well in that case the thinest stuff should be fine. However make sure you thoroughly scrub the DRAM chips with 99% isopropyl alcohol to ensure it sticks on decently.
Old March 9, 2011, 10:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I got mine off ebay from here.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well in that case the thinest stuff should be fine. However make sure you thoroughly scrub the DRAM chips with 99% isopropyl alcohol to ensure it sticks on decently.
I just bought some ArctiClean, I think that will clean it up good.

Alright thanks for the input guys. The cooler comes in Tuesday so I'll lets yous know how it goes when I'm finished installing it.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvsbutthd101 View Post
that's one reason i don't want to use the adhesive. Just in case my card goes bad want to be able to put the stock heatsink back on and RMA it.
I have used TIM, MX2/as5 and then use a tiny, as in a pindrop of crazyglue in one corner, to remove the sinks pop it in a antistatic bag and place it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, then sinply twist the heatsink off. Been doing it this way for 5-6 year works without a flaw everytime.
If you are not happy with the Thermal tape I have a crapload of 3M, simply PM and I can send you out a couple of feet worth via snailmail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I have used TIM, MX2/as5 and then use a tiny, as in a pindrop of crazyglue in one corner, to remove the sinks pop it in a antistatic bag and place it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, then sinply twist the heatsink off. Been doing it this way for 5-6 year works without a flaw everytime.
If you are not happy with the Thermal tape I have a crapload of 3M, simply PM and I can send you out a couple of feet worth via snailmail.
what's 3M