Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 05:22 PM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default Thermal Tape

Wasn't really sure where to post this

But I was wondering whats the best place to buy thermal tape from. I just bought a arctic accelero xtreme plus and I don't want to use the liquid adhesive that comes with it.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 05:28 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,951

My System Specs

Default

Dazmode has quite a few choices: THERMAL SOLUTIONS : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Not really sure what to suggest as I'm not sure what you're using it on. Depending on the gap you may need a thicker pad or if it's a flat surface then the 3M 8815 will probably do.

However it's usually best to use thermal paste on the core/GPU/CPU. Arctic Cooling's MX2/3/4 compounds are all non-conductive so there isn't any need to worry. I'm sure the paste they provided is non-conductive as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Dazmode has quite a few choices: THERMAL SOLUTIONS : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Not really sure what to suggest as I'm not sure what you're using it on. Depending on the gap you may need a thicker pad or if it's a flat surface then the 3M 8815 will probably do.

However it's usually best to use thermal paste on the core/GPU/CPU. Arctic Cooling's MX2/3/4 compounds are all non-conductive so there isn't any need to worry. I'm sure the paste they provided is non-conductive as well.
im using ID DIAMOND thermal compound on the actual gpu itself but i need to attach these heatsinks to the vram
Arctic Cooling ArcticVR004 Arctic Cooling VR004 VGA Heat Sink For NVIDIA GTX480 from mwave.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 05:56 PM
botat29's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 828
Default

thermal tape do not hold very much, if you don't plan to remove the heat sink latter you can use the epoxy thermal paste, it's 2 tubes you mix them and it hold permanently the heat sink, I always use them as the last thing I want it's a memory burn because the heat sink fall.

But be advice thatís a permanent solution, you canít reverse it.

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive 2 X 2.5 Grams - ARCTIC SILVER - AATA-5G - in Canada

.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 06:54 PM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
thermal tape do not hold very much, if you don't plan to remove the heat sink latter you can use the epoxy thermal paste, it's 2 tubes you mix them and it hold permanently the heat sink, I always use them as the last thing I want it's a memory burn because the heat sink fall.

But be advice thatís a permanent solution, you canít reverse it.

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive 2 X 2.5 Grams - ARCTIC SILVER - AATA-5G - in Canada

.
that's one reason i don't want to use the adhesive. Just in case my card goes bad want to be able to put the stock heatsink back on and RMA it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 09:36 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,951

My System Specs

Default

Well in that case the thinest stuff should be fine. However make sure you thoroughly scrub the DRAM chips with 99% isopropyl alcohol to ensure it sticks on decently.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2011, 10:07 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 143

My System Specs

Default

I got mine off ebay from here.
__________________
Heatware
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2011, 05:03 AM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well in that case the thinest stuff should be fine. However make sure you thoroughly scrub the DRAM chips with 99% isopropyl alcohol to ensure it sticks on decently.
I just bought some ArctiClean, I think that will clean it up good.

Alright thanks for the input guys. The cooler comes in Tuesday so I'll lets yous know how it goes when I'm finished installing it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2011, 05:12 AM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,261

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvsbutthd101 View Post
that's one reason i don't want to use the adhesive. Just in case my card goes bad want to be able to put the stock heatsink back on and RMA it.
I have used TIM, MX2/as5 and then use a tiny, as in a pindrop of crazyglue in one corner, to remove the sinks pop it in a antistatic bag and place it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, then sinply twist the heatsink off. Been doing it this way for 5-6 year works without a flaw everytime.
If you are not happy with the Thermal tape I have a crapload of 3M, simply PM and I can send you out a couple of feet worth via snailmail.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
bvsbutthd101's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 389

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I have used TIM, MX2/as5 and then use a tiny, as in a pindrop of crazyglue in one corner, to remove the sinks pop it in a antistatic bag and place it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, then sinply twist the heatsink off. Been doing it this way for 5-6 year works without a flaw everytime.
If you are not happy with the Thermal tape I have a crapload of 3M, simply PM and I can send you out a couple of feet worth via snailmail.
what's 3M
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] Double sided Thermal Tape! tragd Buy/Sell & Trade 3 July 5, 2010 06:14 AM
Thermal tape for GPU mem Eldonko Video Cards 54 May 14, 2010 02:54 PM
Thermal tape and other solutions... Mavvens Air Cooling 7 February 21, 2010 07:33 AM
Voltage regulator block (Thermal tape or thermal counpound?) Mavvens Water Cooling 5 August 8, 2009 07:56 PM
[WTB] Thermal Tape punk_zappa Buy/Sell & Trade 0 June 28, 2009 03:15 AM