Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default sideways airflow?

Now before you rip me a new one for my mickey mouse fan install. this was just an experiment to see if i could help my video card out a bit. I never heard the fan work so hard in my old antec case but all them 80 mm fans could have hidden the noise as well. so i put this 80 mm fan in under a 40% duty cycle and it seems to keep the fan from ramping up to a dull roar.
so here is my question is there such a device somewhere that can mount in 1 pci slot and just create a slight sideways airflow? not one that exits out the back. just moves air left to right so to say and what is it called cuz my google skills have not found anything
Attached Images

Old February 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

try this

PC Cyber Canada - For All Your Computer Needs
Old February 22, 2011, 04:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't worry I've experimented with this type of thing as well, so I won't critique your experiment.

Vantec ? Vantec Spectrum Fan Card - SP-FC70-BL - System Fan Card with Dual 70mm Adjustable UV LED Fans

That might do exactally what you want it to do.

With the bottom 120MM fan working in my HAF case, it actually lowers the second card by 7 degrees under idle and load. So the additional airflow does do something. Give what I linked a try Tigerdirect and NCIX should carry them. Might be worth a shot.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

or my other option would be to pull the heat sink off the card and apply some paste which i have never done so i am a little skeptical.

now on the other hand those are both very good options... but... here comes the picky part. i don't like the colours. ill look for black ones now that i know what i am looking for
Old February 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleo View Post
or my other option would be to pull the heat sink off the card and apply some paste which i have never done so i am a little skeptical.

now on the other hand those are both very good options... but... here comes the picky part. i don't like the colours. ill look for black ones now that i know what i am looking for

The Vantec one glows a nice blue though!!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old February 22, 2011, 04:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

lol awesome!
but when i bought my new case i wanted blue and i went to the lighting isle in mem ex and looked for the nzxt led rope in blue and a shipping screw up within mem ex had them double stocked on red and white. I went with red and have since added a red 120mm led fan in the top of the case. if i add blue then ima gonna get purple... im not a purple kinda guy
Old February 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Don't worry I've experimented with this type of thing as well, so I won't critique your experiment.

Vantec ? Vantec Spectrum Fan Card - SP-FC70-BL - System Fan Card with Dual 70mm Adjustable UV LED Fans

That might do exactally what you want it to do.

With the bottom 120MM fan working in my HAF case, it actually lowers the second card by 7 degrees under idle and load. So the additional airflow does do something. Give what I linked a try Tigerdirect and NCIX should carry them. Might be worth a shot.

ST
I've owned this exact one and it doesn't perform all that well. I didn't even notice a difference in temps with my GTX 275 and it's very loud at full speed. You also have to reach behind your case to use the slider to up the speed on it and after about two months three of the four LED's burnt out. I personally wouldn't recommend this product.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
I've owned this exact one and it doesn't perform all that well. I didn't even notice a difference in temps with my GTX 275 and it's very loud at full speed. You also have to reach behind your case to use the slider to up the speed on it and after about two months three of the four LED's burnt out. I personally wouldn't recommend this product.

Really?
I found that it pushed quite a bit of air. And I still had ones running 2 years now after purchasing.
I would have RMA'd the one you had if that happened. I guess luck of the draw?

ST

Old February 23, 2011, 03:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen the slot cards that either just blow internal air at a GPU, or bring it in from the back (back is usually a bad idea).
I find the fans are too "short" and aren't anywheres near the fan of the GPU.. so it just blows air at the front of the heatsink and overall doesn't do too much.

You're better off trying to get more air flow in your case. Either by upgrading your system fans (and exaust too, very important for airflow) or, getting a directional duct for an intake fan, and pointing it at your GPU. If you can put a fan on your side panel, that would work too - although I personally don't like them because of having to disconnect the fan when you take the side off.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:45 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Expansion Slot Rear Exhaust Cooling Fan with LP4 Connector | StarTech.com