Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2011, 09:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
140mm fans usually have a larger dead spot than a 120mm too which can make a 120mm fan ideal for better environments.
Doh, you beat me to it.
For heat sinks and rads, 120mm is king right now.. due to the dead spot the center winding motor takes up.. and there aren't many 140mm fans available with good static pressure (or, just in general)
As for case fans, 200mm are the "best" right now, as they can move even slower and push more air. Unfortunately the size thing isn't a standard - as each case manufacturer has random widths and screw hole locations for their 200mm fans.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Doh, you beat me to it.
For heat sinks and rads, 120mm is king right now.. due to the dead spot the center winding motor takes up.. and there aren't many 140mm fans available with good static pressure (or, just in general)
As for case fans, 200mm are the "best" right now, as they can move even slower and push more air. Unfortunately the size thing isn't a standard - as each case manufacturer has random widths and screw hole locations for their 200mm fans.

Yeah I found that one out almost the hard way once. Thankfully I read a few product reviews that actually contained the correct information and helped me from a poor purchase.

Yeah the hub will create a dead spot, but its not really a game changing difference if the radiator itself is enlarged to fit the 140mm anyways. I would imagine the surface area lost/gained by this would be the same.

As for the Static Pressure, yes thats pretty much the failing I see right now is the low RPM numbers are equating to lower H20mm numbers as well.
Time will tell what will happen.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 22, 2011, 02:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
I use Noctua in my system, their NF-P14 FLX. 140mm, but with 120 mm mounting options.
Same here, great Fan

Another Guy From Canada