Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Titan Fernier X'mas edition for i5-750 p55-ud3 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/40940-titan-fernier-xmas-edition-i5-750-p55-ud3.html)

Your_friendly_gamer February 19, 2011 08:13 PM

Titan Fernier X'mas edition for i5-750 p55-ud3

I was just wondering, I recently purchased a titan fernier from a gentleman here and I replaced it with hyper 212+ by cooler master. However, I am not seeing any huge improvement. ALthough, I read big reviews about the fernier.

There is a big difference in size and the size of the heatpipes. One copper heat pipe equals 2 of hyper 212's. Anyways, another thing, the top of my cpu, I scrathed the top surface just a bit while I was trying fit in fernier, is that ok? Or would that make a huge performance difference?

I currently have my set up in Antec 1200, the room temprature is about 20 degrees celicus maybe 22 at most(as its in my basement).

When I overclock my cpu with Titan to 4.0 I reach the temps just under 70 degrees celcius on full load on Prime 95.

On stock 2.66 which has turbo boost so it goes to 3.2ghz, i only get upto 45 degrees with prime 95

PS. Please don't make fun of me too much, but you are more than welcome to do so. As I am in my mid 30's and recently got into PC gaming and wow huge difference from console. I love pc gaming. If you have any suggestions please tell me.

What would be a very good cooler, mind you I dont want to spend more than 60 dollars.

Thanks all!:punk:

_dangtx_ February 19, 2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer (Post 487806)
I was just wondering, I recently purchased a titan fernier from a gentleman here and I replaced it with hyper 212+ by cooler master. However, I am not seeing any huge improvement. ALthough, I read big reviews about the fernier.

There is a big difference in size and the size of the heatpipes. One copper heat pipe equals 2 of hyper 212's. Anyways, another thing, the top of my cpu, I scrathed the top surface just a bit while I was trying fit in fernier, is that ok? Or would that make a huge performance difference?

I currently have my set up in Antec 1200, the room temprature is about 20 degrees celicus maybe 22 at most(as its in my basement).

When I overclock my cpu with Titan to 4.0 I reach the temps just under 70 degrees celcius on full load on Prime 95.

On stock 2.66 which has turbo boost so it goes to 3.2ghz, i only get upto 45 degrees with prime 95

PS. Please don't make fun of me too much, but you are more than welcome to do so. As I am in my mid 30's and recently got into PC gaming and wow huge difference from console. I love pc gaming. If you have any suggestions please tell me.

What would be a very good cooler, mind you I dont want to spend more than 60 dollars.

Thanks all!:punk:

first of all, why the frog would we make fun of you,sir?
yes we may be looking like screwing around on here from time to time(talking about myself in particular :D )
but in no way we go out of our way to insult people or anything like that.:thumb:

now, the 212+ is a killer of a cooler. if you were to test both coolers with the SAME fan?
it would come a bit on the lesser side vs the fenrir. but, unless you apply generous ammounts of voltage+oc? the difference will not be stellar.
now,for the cut. yes it can mess up your temps...1-3 degrees? maybe more maybe less,maybe not
much at least that you wont notice. unless its something like totally bad? shouldnt make much difference, i think.

70c at 4 gigs is a very good tep to have for an i7 hehe, so stop complaining and get those zombies..err..aliens..anyway,whatever you play against!!! :bleh:

Your_friendly_gamer February 20, 2011 11:16 AM

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I just wasnt sure about the maximum tempratures allowed for an i5. I read on a site for intel that the max is 72.7. I just ran prime 95 again and I got 68 max, but thats fine then. Thanks again for your help Dangtx

Brian@NCIX February 20, 2011 12:50 PM

There is no maximum temp, it differs for all processors, my 970 runs at 90c on a Noctua NH-U12P when overclocked :P

Your_friendly_gamer February 21, 2011 10:24 AM

wow 90 degrees eh. I just read the thing from Intel about my CPU and I was just worried a bit. But it never gets over 46 degrees when I am at default and it automatically turbo boosts to 3.2 ghz which is still very fast. So i clocked it back to normal and I only clock it to 4.0 when I am playing a game or something. I wonder why Intel posts these things in the specs:

Intel® Core

I have another question, for the memory, currently I have a 4 gig low voltage ram, if I get 4 more, would that increase any performance? Or its not worth the price?

Thanks again!

martin_metal_88 February 21, 2011 10:59 AM

Unless you are doing apps that use over 4GB no. So for everything like gaming, web etc you wont see any increase.

Your_friendly_gamer February 21, 2011 11:05 AM

Thank you so very much Martin! You are all very helpful and amazing!:clap::canadianwave: