Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default The really really BEST and quiet exhaust fans?

Now that I have all my video etc. set up properly, I want to add a better rear exhaust fan than the one I'm using now. It's a Zalman. Problem with it is too much noise and it doesn't really blow that hard. What would you suggest? I don't care how much, I just wany GOOD. I know there has been a lot of talk on this in the past but I'm hoping someone might know of a new and improved cooling fan. Thank you all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5

Last edited by Slik; February 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Add info.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Nexus Real Silent, Noctua S-series (if you like fans that look like a dead fish). The new Fractal fans look good too, but are new and haven't been reviewed/tested very much yet. There's also the Sharkoon fans that are supposed to be quiet as well (pitted fan blades).
Old February 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Grab one of the new Silverstone Directional Airflow fans. They should be silent. The Fractal design ones are good but not perfect.

It is either that or some gentle Typhoons.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Grab one of the new Silverstone Directional Airflow fans. They should be silent. The Fractal design ones are good but not perfect.

It is either that or some gentle Typhoons.
I disagree. Those SS fans are meant for intakes, so they have very little use as an exhaust - directional airflow is useless for exhaust, and the extra airflow shaping used in those fans probably create more disturbance and thus more noise than a traditional silent fan.

Gentle typhoons arent exactly quiet either. IMO theyre meant more for quiet-ish static pressure, and not dead silent exhaust applications.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Scythe SlipStreams are great as case fans.

Fan Roundup #5: Attack of the 120 Scythes | silentpcreview.com
Old February 10, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I disagree. Those SS fans are meant for intakes, so they have very little use as an exhaust - directional airflow is useless for exhaust, and the extra airflow shaping used in those fans probably create more disturbance and thus more noise than a traditional silent fan.

Gentle typhoons arent exactly quiet either. IMO theyre meant more for quiet-ish static pressure, and not dead silent exhaust applications.
Do you have any suggestions? What do you use?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Do you have any suggestions? What do you use?
Basically, i always use Nexus for "dead silent near 0db" systems, or use a decent regular 12v fan and lower the speed using a 7v adapter when "dead silence" isnt required. Although, I've also used Arctic-cooling PWM sharing fans and are very happy with them when they share the CPU fans PWM signal.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post

At no point in my post did I say that the Directional airflow was ideal for Exhaust.
Just because its directional Airflow doesn't mean it cannot be used, do you have them on your case right now? I'm just curious if you've put them on to know their merits or not.

They are very quiet for the air they move and a very respectable fan.

Quiet enough works for what his application is likely to be, considering he has a pair of 580's inside his case.

Another alternative is the Gelid Wing 12's they are very nice and near silent although they pay for this somewhat in air movement. The PL's move a heck of a lot more air but again there is noise involved with that.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 11, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I ordered a Gelid Wing 9. I don't care for the green color but the specs looked OK.
Old February 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

I have couple of wing 12, probably one of the best fans out there, undervolts well and easily removable fins and uv reactive.

I also have silverstone air penetrators... they are not bad but not really worth the "air channeling" tech. While it does push air in 1 direction, but having all that clutter up on the exhaust side of the fan kills the cfm especially if you put it against the grill or something. Tried using it on couple of heatsink I've owned in the past and even on rad. not the best fans for rad or heatsink since it lacks static pressure but it will be a fairly decent fan if you are pulling air from front of the case to your mobo, air won't go everywhere.

noctua fans are always good for low noise and good cfm. but I guess color scheme doesnt work out for everyone