Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 09:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Does anyone else think they are taking a step in a backwards direction with this style of cooler?

I can see the benefit for cooling the ram and the chipset more.. but would it not effect the flow of air inside the case?.. theres a reason manufacturers have moved to the tower style cooler - to direct the warm air outside of the case asap. I could see this being more efficient if you have a side case fan installed (which I personally hate, cause it always sucks taking the door off) Which is where the tower style is better, with the flow of air from the bottom front of the case streamlined out the top or back.
That's kind of what I was thinking when I saw it.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:14 AM
Banned
F@H

true. it messes with the airflow..except if you have it suck air away from the mobo and have a decent side/top exhaust

fannage system :) and judging by the price tag, the guy with a 10 dollar no exhaust case will not be its main user base :D
Old February 7, 2011, 11:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
true. it messes with the airflow..except if you have it suck air away from the mobo and have a decent side/top exhaust

fannage system :) and judging by the price tag, the guy with a 10 dollar no exhaust case will not be its main user base :D
Especially if it has a lowpro config for tight fitting cases. I *doubt* it would have a side panel exhaust.

That would be my only concern. Otherwise it looks like a solid design.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
Banned
F@H

well this is not really low profile. i mean ok you put the fan beneath to use and leave the top one out

for clearance sakes but still thats pritty tall compared to true low profile units :)
Old February 7, 2011, 12:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest I actually prefer this style of cooler. I've noticed somewhat better on stock systems at least better VRM cooling and NB with this style. Again to each their own, but a lot of times our cases won't fit the really big ones. This eliminates that issue for the most part. And if you look at case designs in recent history they all are populating the top portion with 1+ fans, so heat dump inside should be minimal if you populate the fan spots.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 7, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

a) This is a hobby "not a living". If I tried to live off the "proceeds" of my reviews....well it wouldnt be pretty,

B) Lets see a 135mm fan....nope thats not 140mm. A craptacular 140mm Scythe Kaze fan meant for cases (its the successor to the Slip Stream fan which while good for cases, blow as CPU fan on most coolers) and a Tt 1300rpm fan. Yup, I still stand by my statement that there is no readily available HIGH performance 140mm fans here in Canada. Since it needs to be spelled out, sigh, high performance is not 1300rpms. Its the 140mm equivalent of a Scythe G at the MINIMUM. If that is not obvious enough CFM doesn't mean jack sqaut on its own. Neither does DBa. The Noctua P14 is not a high performance fan. Thats why they need to include TWO if them. With that being said this combination is low noise and does provide more than adequate cooling. BUT its not a HIGH PERFORMANCE fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
I don't get this:

For someone testing heatsinks and fans for a living its weird how you can say something like that when the Noctua P14 is probably the worst 140mm fan especially considering the cost.

Heres a selection of a few very well performing 120mm+ fans:

Scythe "KAZE MARU2" 140mm Case Fan

Kama FLEX 135: Scythe - The Cooling Experts

Product | Thermalright Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

And a decent review:

140 mm Fan Roundup. Page 13 - X-bit labs

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
Banned
F@H

static pressure..performance..two words that sometimes go hand in hand with fans :)
Old February 7, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Really nice review AKG!!!

Do you think that this cooler would actually be perform well on the ASUS Sabertooth mobo, blowing air into the "thermal Jacket" opening?

Also, if you disregard the clearance issues, is this cooler performs as well as the NH-D14?

For a high OC on an i7, which one would you choose (C14 or D14)???
I doubt it would blow much INTO that opening. If you have a sabertooth stick a slow and low noise fan on it. Only way to be sure, as with this it will blow down and then across the mobo. Now with that being said if you installed the C14 with the fan over the opening...maybe it would be enough, but I still would opt for a secondary fan.

This cooler is good...but not D14 good. That thing is a BEAST. If you got room in your case for the D14 get the D14, C14 wont even be close at high OCs.

This cooler is great for moderate OCs that will keep the system cool as well as the CPU...but the D14 will kick its ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Does anyone else think they are taking a step in a backwards direction with this style of cooler?

I can see the benefit for cooling the ram and the chipset more.. but would it not effect the flow of air inside the case?.. theres a reason manufacturers have moved to the tower style cooler - to direct the warm air outside of the case asap. I could see this being more efficient if you have a side case fan installed (which I personally hate, cause it always sucks taking the door off) Which is where the tower style is better, with the flow of air from the bottom front of the case streamlined out the top or back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Especially if it has a lowpro config for tight fitting cases. I *doubt* it would have a side panel exhaust.

That would be my only concern. Otherwise it looks like a solid design.

Well to be honest, the way you guys are looking at it is kinda skewed. Consider the downdraft coolers to have the same airflow profile as that of the STOCK coolers (with the exception being the newer Intel tower one). Does a stock intel or AMD screw up internal case flow...or does the rear (and top if the case has one) suck the hot air out? Same idea with these aftermarket downdraft coolers....there is just more air being moved at lower noise levels.

We are all just used to thinking of the front to back / East west tower configs to be "normal" state of affairs when its actually...not. Most comps use downdraft coolers.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 7, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I doubt it would blow much INTO that opening. If you have a sabertooth stick a slow and low noise fan on it. Only way to be sure, as with this it will blow down and then across the mobo. Now with that being said if you installed the C14 with the fan over the opening...maybe it would be enough, but I still would opt for a secondary fan.

This cooler is good...but not D14 good. That thing is a BEAST. If you got room in your case for the D14 get the D14, C14 wont even be close at high OCs.

This cooler is great for moderate OCs that will keep the system cool as well as the CPU...but the D14 will kick its ass.
Thank you sir!

I'm not there yet, but I was about to buy a Sandy Bridge setup...was considering the D14 and MAYBE a Sabertooth, but I'll wait until Intel sorts their SHYTZ out with P67 before buying...
Now I'll stick with D14 as my first option...I have enough room (CM ATCS 840 here)
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old February 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like I just wasted a bit of cash on a spire cooler! Whoops!

This cooler looks great, and I much prefer the downdraft coolers over the tower style. It just feels better, more air moving over the components surrounding the CPU is always a good thing!

Great review, thanks!