Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2011, 11:23 PM

My System Specs

Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Yes, that helps, thanks.

One thing about the R4s, though. It might be just my paranoia, but it seems there's quite a few reports of the R4 fans failing and collecting a lot of dust, on newegg. I'm sure newegg reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt, sometimes, but with all the fans out there, there are bound to be some that probably don't have the best QC.

I am narrowing it down to this:
* Coolermaster R4 - PM @ $5
* Coolermaster Blademaster $10
* Yate Loon PM @ $4

It seems the 'Gentle Typhoon' is too expensive and is often out of stock or it would have been my choice.

Any comments on the above choices? I was wondering which is the 'best deal.'

P.S. I thought I should go with a push-pull configuration. I can achieve that by placing the fan on the side of the heatsink facing the exhaust port? There's currently a 120mm fan there.
I'm using Coolermaster R4's on my Noctua NH-U12P and I think there great. I just cleaned all the dust from my case today and these fans don't collect the dust like you say. Here's a pic of them installed.
Name:  004.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  165.0 KB
Old February 23, 2011, 06:53 PM

Hey, a major thanks to Spikemaul, ST and Ilya!!!! I really appreciate your input! I wanted to really consider the R4 because the price is right. But, your assurance that it's a worthwhile fan to get is convincing me to get one. I was debating between the LED R4 and the Blademaster but sounds like the R4 w/ the lights should be sufficient but if I need the extra static pressure, it's still only a $5 fan! :) The BM is only two bucks more, though, so I was still undecided! Glad there's a few places who sell pretty cheap because NCIX usually stays around $7 to $11 for those fans, I think. :)
Old March 6, 2011, 11:26 AM

Spikemaul, do you have any pictures of the middle fan?

Can someone tell me how you mount the 'middle fan?'

Also, should I get a fan controller?

NCIX.com - Buy GELID Solutions 3-PIN Fan Speed Controller 5-12V - Gelid Solutions Ltd. - GELID-FAN-SPEED-CONTROL - in Canada

Too basic?

I wanted to order some time today or whatever would get it here in two days.

I think my cpu temps are too high...

Last edited by Borg; March 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM.