Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2011, 05:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Mix 3 pin Fan with 4 pin PWM fan and header

So I'm trying a push/pull setup with my Hyper 212+, but for now, I'm using two different fans.
An Arctic Cooling AF12025PWM fan and a Noctua NF-P12.
The AC fan is PWM based and has a 4 pin splitter built into the cable, so I've connected the Noctua directly to this splitter and then the AC PWM fan is connected to the motherboard's header. The fans definitely don't have any issues with drawing too much power from the header (combined 2.64W vs 12W on the header).

Now what I am wondering is can I set the motherboard to control the fan speeds based on the temperature, or will it cause issues (something go boom?) because one fan is PWM and the other isn't?

Full speed is a little too loud for my tastes considering it's idling, when I'm gaming, I'm not going to hear it since the game's sounds will easily drown out the fans.

Thanks.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Now what I am wondering is can I set the motherboard to control the fan speeds based on the temperature, or will it cause issues (something go boom?) because one fan is PWM and the other isn't?
PWM control won't work, but voltage will. I don't think your board supports it though, you'd have to get one of those single channel fan controllers.

I wouldn't try to do it as the other fan doesn't have the 4th wire to regulate the voltage pulses.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well although I've read the P8P67 doesn't support voltage regulation, it does seem to work when I connected the Noctua NF-P12 directly to the CPU fan header, the RPM's did adjust according to Aida64 Extreme when temps increased/decreased.

What would happen if I did enable it, would the PWM fan change RPMs, while the Noctua just run at full speed or would the board just get 'confused' since it would sense two types of fans connected?