Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Cutting the top heatpipe of an AC7PRO (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/40353-cutting-top-heatpipe-ac7pro.html)

m0pelley99 January 30, 2011 01:25 PM

Cutting the top heatpipe of an AC7PRO

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the Coolermaster 360 Elite case the other day to decrease the physical footprint of my tower. Problem is, the height of the AC7PRO I'm using to cool my Q6600 is too high for the side cover. If I cut these heatpipes with a metal saw, (which I've never done before) will it affect the performance of the cooler? Will any liquid come out? I've included a picture for reference.

_dangtx_ January 30, 2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0pelley99 (Post 480061)
I bought the Coolermaster 360 Elite case the other day to decrease the physical footprint of my tower. Problem is, the height of the AC7PRO I'm using to cool my Q6600 is too high for the side cover. If I cut these heatpipes with a metal saw, (which I've never done before) will it affect the performance of the cooler? Will any liquid come out? I've included a picture for reference.

i highly sugest you make a video, and keep everest or any temp reporting app open.

and to answer your question, temps will skyrocket, not sure if anything will come out.

jcmaz January 30, 2011 01:36 PM

Do not cut the heatpipes because all the liquid used to wick away the heat from your CPU will evaporate, rendering the cooler useless.

Jackquelegs January 30, 2011 02:20 PM

You can cut it, but just pinch it and solder it back shut. The consequences depend on your proficiency

chubaka January 30, 2011 02:29 PM

try bending it down flat towards the top fin or remove the top fin and bend it even more ifyou need more clearance

m0pelley99 January 30, 2011 02:53 PM

Thanks everyone. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, effective LGA775 cooler? One that does not use a backplate.

_dangtx_ January 30, 2011 03:02 PM

for low profile goodness, scythe should be king, but no backplate?

not easy. is it difficult to take the mobo out?

MpG January 30, 2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 480073)
You can cut it, but just pinch it and solder it back shut. The consequences depend on your proficiency

The majority of heatpipes rely on a low-pressure environment inside the tubes to faciliate the phase-change process. You puncture them, you instantly ruin them, even if you seal them up again.

MacJunky January 30, 2011 05:39 PM

This guy has the right idea. :P
Case Mod: Stuffing a Q6600 in a Cooler Master Elite 360 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

m0pelley99 January 31, 2011 07:36 AM

My temporary fix to the problem is to use the stock HSF. While it's not as effective to cool it'll fit. Looks like I'm going to have a loud setup for a while... The 750i NB cooler is like a helicopter even at 30%..