Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Lightbulb Which CPU Cooler?

I am running a stock Intel CPU cooler since I was not intending to be a big OC'er. However, the ASUS mobo makes that easy and I find the temptation for speed with the new Sandy Bridge setup just too great to resist. So, I am wondering which cooler is the best bang for the buck. Price is a big deal since Maximum PC Magazine raves about the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and it is only $29 at Memory Express. Some coolers are a $100 or so and that is a huge spread. Is this the way to go or is there one that is better and easy to install (I here the CM 212+ sometimes makes techs cringe). I'd like to do the install myself but have never done one so ease of use is important for this go around.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

ps This is a great board
Old January 28, 2011, 02:56 PM
Banned
F@H

get the 212+ pm'ed lower, or grab one of the penguin guy's v6gt's on the cheap?

either or the sb doesnt need phenomenal cooling to get up there, given you take it normally to the volts

giving :D
Old January 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I had a cm 212 plus and it was easy to install but it is really big. in the end I thought the weight of it would put a lot of stress on the board (but no proof) and bought a corsair h50. it is also easy to install a bit more petite and I like it better. both seemed to work well at cooling the processor.
Old January 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^Penguin guy is 3.0Charlie FYI

-Plato
Old January 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Rookie

Yeah, the Corsair H50 looks interesting. Has anyone got any experience installing a GELID Silent Spirit CPU Cooler? It is $29.99 on sale and looks easy to install. But does it work?

Old January 28, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye_54 View Post
Yeah, the Corsair H50 looks interesting. Has anyone got any experience installing a GELID Silent Spirit CPU Cooler? It is $29.99 on sale and looks easy to install. But does it work?

If you really want it it's cheaper if you pricematch:NXSource.com - Buy GELID Silent Spirit Heatpipe CPU Cooler Heatsink 100MM Fan LGA1366 LGA1156 LGA775 AM3

It's not a very high performance HSF, but it's quiet. The mounting system is pushpin, which most people don't seem to like. It's also got better clearance and VRM cooling. Also note that they no longer come with 1366 mounting backplates, they need to be purchased separately.

Like others said, CM Hyper 212 if you aren't going for sky high clocks. It comes nice and cheap at $20. If you want a little bit more out of the box, Scythe Mugen 2 for $35. Anything better typically gets over $50 and you probably won't need it for the 2500K.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
I had a cm 212 plus and it was easy to install but it is really big. in the end I thought the weight of it would put a lot of stress on the board (but no proof) and bought a corsair h50. it is also easy to install a bit more petite and I like it better. both seemed to work well at cooling the processor.
I wouldn't consider the 212+ big or heavy compared to many others out there. For $25 you can't go wrong.
Old January 29, 2011, 07:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
^Penguin guy is 3.0Charlie FYI
Please excuse my ignorance but what does this mean?
Old January 29, 2011, 08:54 AM
Rookie

Well after first asking this question on HC, I found a series of reviews on coolers. The results are very interesting. My goal is to get a quiet yet very effective cooling unit that doesn't cost an arm and leg so to speak.

Using a stock Intel fan as a baseline for noise (44dBA), I decided any cooler I installed must be in the 40-50dBA range for noise to be considered. I also decided that the High Core Temp must not exceed 60c running Prime95 in the same comparison. That eliminated the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ which is 52dBA and 64c.

The ones left in the race (that are accessible in AB stores or by Canadian Mail Order Shops) are:

Noctua NH-U12P 46dBA 54c $80
Scythe Mugen-2 46dBA 54c $45
Cooler Master Hyper N620 50dBA 56c $66
Gelid Tranquillo 46dBA 60c $45
Prolimatech Armageddon 48dBA 56c $60
Thermaltake ISGC-300 46dBA 56c (Exceeds $100 in price)

So, of the ones mentioned here, which do you recommend and why? I am looking for easy installation, reliability, effectiveness and cost must be reasonable.

Thanks for your help.
Old January 29, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye_54 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what does this mean?
3.0Charlie is the guy selling the V6GT coolers.

I would still get the 212+ tho and swap out the stock fan for whatever you fancy.

$25 for the cooler and say $25 for two fans PM'd is still a tad bit cheaper than some of your options.

-Plato