Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2011, 09:43 AM
Banned
F@H

sorry about that. charlie had a penguin avatar, easily recognized across the whole lot world wide web.

thus the nickname :)

or if you feel like silence is the most important thing for you, then the hr-02 is your choice.

it is expensive, but you cant beat it. fanless. enough said! :p
Old January 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye_54 View Post
Well after first asking this question on HC, I found a series of reviews on coolers. The results are very interesting. My goal is to get a quiet yet very effective cooling unit that doesn't cost an arm and leg so to speak.

Using a stock Intel fan as a baseline for noise (44dBA), I decided any cooler I installed must be in the 40-50dBA range for noise to be considered. I also decided that the High Core Temp must not exceed 60c running Prime95 in the same comparison. That eliminated the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ which is 52dBA and 64c.

The ones left in the race (that are accessible in AB stores or by Canadian Mail Order Shops) are:

Noctua NH-U12P 46dBA 54c $80
Scythe Mugen-2 46dBA 54c $45
Cooler Master Hyper N620 50dBA 56c $66
Gelid Tranquillo 46dBA 60c $45
Prolimatech Armageddon 48dBA 56c $60
Thermaltake ISGC-300 46dBA 56c (Exceeds $100 in price)

So, of the ones mentioned here, which do you recommend and why? I am looking for easy installation, reliability, effectiveness and cost must be reasonable.

Thanks for your help.
I only know of one review site that actually has realistic numbers for noise levels on HSF's, and that's SPCR.

Nobody else tests noise levels properly, they have too much ambient noise and their equipment is totally substandard. It's too pricey to give accurate data on noise levels, which is probably why HWC doesn't bother giving them. Everybody else that gives you numbers is feeding you inaccurate information.

If silence is a priority, passive heatsinks like the HR-02 and Scythe Orochi will guarantee no noise with adequate performance.

Otherwise high end heatsinks like the Noctua's, Prolimatech's, and Thermalright's will be quite adequate in terms of noise and performance. (when paired with a decent fan)

Out of the box, the Mugen 2 performs better and is quieter than the Hyper 212, but once you take the stock fans out of the equation, they're on equal ground. Mugen 2 can be had for $35, Hyper 212 $20.

Gelid Tranquillo is also fairly quiet out of the box, it performs in stock Hyper 212 territory. Can be had for $25.