Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2011, 11:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Temp sensor taping

Just picked up a Sentry 2 Fan controller, and the tape that comes with it to hold down the sensors is crap. What do you guys use to hold them down? Even though I really don"t need them as I bought the unit to just control my fans.
Old January 20, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This:
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive 2 X 3.5 Grams - ASTA-7G In Canada.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Rather go with something that can be removed. On another note, is it a good idea to hook the cpu fans up to the controller or leave it to the motherboard to handle. I have a Noctua NH-D14 whose fans pull 1.8w so the controller should have no issue handling them.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post
Rather go with something that can be removed. On another note, is it a good idea to hook the cpu fans up to the controller or leave it to the motherboard to handle. I have a Noctua NH-D14 whose fans pull 1.8w so the controller should have no issue handling them.
NCIX.com - Buy Thermal Tape 3.5CM X3.5CM ( One Piece ) - Thermal-Tape- X -1 In Canada. Can be PMed much lower, is smaller than advertised.

Or you could just use electrical tape if you aren't concerned with accuracy. I would go with electrical tape.

As for the motherboard headers, check the manufacturer specs. Most good boards handle much higher wattage fans no problem though.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
NCIX.com - Buy Thermal Tape 3.5CM X3.5CM ( One Piece ) - Thermal-Tape- X -1 In Canada. Can be PMed much lower, is smaller than advertised.

Or you could just use electrical tape if you aren't concerned with accuracy. I would go with electrical tape.

As for the motherboard headers, check the manufacturer specs. Most good boards handle much higher wattage fans no problem though.
Problem with electrical tape is that when it heats up or gets warm it makes a gooey mess.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post

Though with the fan controller I can control the speed of the fans for better cooling and the Sentry 2 can handle 8w per channel and the Noctua's only require 1.8w
Old January 20, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post
It can be removed, use it sparingly and you can pick it off with your finger nail etc.
Old January 22, 2011, 06:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
It can be removed, use it sparingly and you can pick it off with your finger nail etc.
I've seen people mix 50% thermal paste in to it, which makes it easy to remove but still allows for a fairly secure bond.