Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Temp sensor taping (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/40048-temp-sensor-taping.html)

ht_addict January 20, 2011 11:54 AM

Temp sensor taping

Just picked up a Sentry 2 Fan controller, and the tape that comes with it to hold down the sensors is crap. What do you guys use to hold them down? Even though I really don"t need them as I bought the unit to just control my fans.

stoanee January 20, 2011 12:49 PM

This:
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive 2 X 3.5 Grams - ASTA-7G In Canada.

ht_addict January 20, 2011 01:14 PM

Rather go with something that can be removed. On another note, is it a good idea to hook the cpu fans up to the controller or leave it to the motherboard to handle. I have a Noctua NH-D14 whose fans pull 1.8w so the controller should have no issue handling them.

ilya January 20, 2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ht_addict (Post 476527)
Rather go with something that can be removed. On another note, is it a good idea to hook the cpu fans up to the controller or leave it to the motherboard to handle. I have a Noctua NH-D14 whose fans pull 1.8w so the controller should have no issue handling them.

NCIX.com - Buy Thermal Tape 3.5CM X3.5CM ( One Piece ) - Thermal-Tape- X -1 In Canada. Can be PMed much lower, is smaller than advertised.

Or you could just use electrical tape if you aren't concerned with accuracy. I would go with electrical tape.

As for the motherboard headers, check the manufacturer specs. Most good boards handle much higher wattage fans no problem though.

enaberif January 20, 2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 476529)
NCIX.com - Buy Thermal Tape 3.5CM X3.5CM ( One Piece ) - Thermal-Tape- X -1 In Canada. Can be PMed much lower, is smaller than advertised.

Or you could just use electrical tape if you aren't concerned with accuracy. I would go with electrical tape.

As for the motherboard headers, check the manufacturer specs. Most good boards handle much higher wattage fans no problem though.

Problem with electrical tape is that when it heats up or gets warm it makes a gooey mess.

ht_addict January 20, 2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 476529)

Though with the fan controller I can control the speed of the fans for better cooling and the Sentry 2 can handle 8w per channel and the Noctua's only require 1.8w

stoanee January 20, 2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ht_addict (Post 476527)

It can be removed, use it sparingly and you can pick it off with your finger nail etc.

TopDogZero January 22, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 476539)
It can be removed, use it sparingly and you can pick it off with your finger nail etc.

I've seen people mix 50% thermal paste in to it, which makes it easy to remove but still allows for a fairly secure bond.