Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2011, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

Default need help picking a heatsink

in the market for a new heatsink as i'm finally going to get to OC'ing my q9450 (i'm a late bloomer, i know). I've been trying to find a heatsink that would fit my case (antec 900) and not interfere with anything on the mobo (rampage formula).

I was looking at the Frio, Megahalems, and the NF-d14 but i just can't be sure if they'd fit.

Can anyone help?
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display
Old January 11, 2011, 05:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I am pretty sure a Zalman Max will work without getting in the way and fitting in the case.
Probably give you enough Headroom to OC it to where you want.

My thoughts,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 11, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Easy way to be sure is to check the Noctua website and look under the NH-D14 compatibility list. Do note that they assume you aren't using all 4/6 RAM slots, just half of them. If your motherboard can handle the D14, it will handle pretty much every tower on the market.

Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

The Antec 900 will be tall enough for all of the 160mm tall heatsinks, only potential issue is the side fan, which you can just remove if it becomes an issue.

While I don't have anything against Zalman heatsinks, (in fact I've used a few and found them to be very high quality) I've found that the bearing noise can get quite annoying at times. You can't replace the fan without any serious modding either.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect

thanks for that page. It says my mobo is compatible, which is good news. But i'd really like to have all my slots available for ram in case i get some more sticks in the future. Out of the ones i've mentioned, the frio has really piqued my interest. The Zalman is a good suggestion but the noise factor has me a bit worried.
Old January 12, 2011, 06:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you'd have to worry if you grabbed the Zal, I haven't had one give me noise yet from its bearings. The FRIO is pretty damn awesome too, I'm suprised TT pulled that one out of the hat.

Either way, you'll get a solid cooler should you choose either.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 12, 2011, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You will have to remove the plastic fan holding piece on the side panel as well, if you wish to install a large tower heatsink. You can actually just flip it around so the "fan holding side" is on the outside if you still want to use the side panel intake.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:18 PM
Top Prospect

a few people in another thread suggested the 212 plus but I'm afraid that if i tried a high overclock, say 3.4-3.5, that it wouldn't be a good enough cooling solution. Any thoughts?

If anyone can suggest the most powerful cooling solution (or just a great one for overclocking) that would fit in my case and on my board, i'd be ecstatic.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
a few people in another thread suggested the 212 plus but I'm afraid that if i tried a high overclock, say 3.4-3.5, that it wouldn't be a good enough cooling solution. Any thoughts?

If anyone can suggest the most powerful cooling solution (or just a great one for overclocking) that would fit in my case and on my board, i'd be ecstatic.

A lot of sites now have shown the MAX being only 2 spots down in performance from the much Bigger D14 from Noctua. That being said my recommendation for it still stands.

Or alternatively you can get the Flex from Zal and strap some really good fans onboard.

ST

Old January 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
Top Prospect

If the 212 is indeed good enough for an optmistic overclock, i'll be getting it soon. Heard that the fan they ship with it is 2000rpm, any ideas for a second fan to go with that? With the overheating issues i've been having, i really don't ever want to see scary temps again.
Old January 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If the 212 is indeed good enough for an optmistic overclock, i'll be getting it soon. Heard that the fan they ship with it is 2000rpm, any ideas for a second fan to go with that? With the overheating issues i've been having, i really don't ever want to see scary temps again.
For a mid range overclock it would probably do the trick. However seeing as how you're going to be going up there I would suggest the greater thermal headroom a better CPU Cooler will provide.

For Fans, Coolermaster R4 or Blademaster Fans are top tier when it comes to heatsinks.

Or , get a V6GT as the fans that come on it are premium units.

ST