Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

1155 and 1156 no real dif when it comes to coolers, all should fit barring something REALLY odd (or atlest that is what I have heard....Im still not convinced on SB and am waiting for the "enthusiast" / 1366 replacement). I am still not a big fan of the venom X and prefer Prolimatech coolers as the venom X is now only decent. The design its based on WAS great....but those days are long past (r.i.p. TRUE) and thus its only good -to- very good. Zalman are also good IF pricey and not my first choice for insane OC's (with that said I have a cnps10x Flex on my 1090T running at 3.8ghz with ONE fan and its damn good). For MAX OC I would stay away from HDT as they are (sadly still) mainly orientated for best bang for your buck....which really annoys me but...meh nothing I can do about it.

IF your mobo and case can accommodate the beast called the Noctua D14, it really is a no brainer as that thing w/ 3 high speed fans is simply INSANE at cooling (min is two fans and it stinks w/ one fan...thats why I yanked it from the charts). After that the Prolimatech Super Mega would be by next choice.

A decent option though NOT in the same league as the other big boys is the new Noctua C14. Its a downdraft cooler so while it will hit the thermal wall earlier than the Prolimatech it will help cool off your mobo, which CAN be a concern for some high OC's.

Honestly, it really does depend on how far you plan to push things and how much weight you are comfortable hanging off your mobo AND how much noise (via fans) you can stand AND how much you can afford AND how good a case you have.
When it comes to cases...not much sense having a kick ass cooler IF the heat it dumps inside your case cant be sucked out enough to keep the whole system from truning into a E-Z-Bake oven!

If weight is a concern BUT noise is not...a pair of San Aces or Panflo's + a Proolimatech mega (not the super mega but the older megahalem) == INSANE oc's
If noise is a concern but weight is not...three mid speed FDB based fans + a Noctua D14 == Insane OC's
If noise AND weight is a concern....a pair of mid speed FDB based fans + a Prolimatech == very high OCs
IF noise AND weight AND cost is a concern.....a 2nd hand Prolimatech megahalem + 2 CM R4s (volt modded down in speed of course) == very high OC's
If noise and cost is not a concern BUT weight is....go water
If the absolute highest OC is needed....go phase change
If phase change is too costly...go water.

Honestly
Phase change (about a grand) > water (couple bills for killer custom loop) > air (1 bill or less)

For fans I like CM R4s they volt mod down NICELY and are cheap. I also like Scythe SFlex models, Panaflows, San Aces and occasionally Noctua's (though not often they are too expensive and its too easy to get others to do just as good or better in regards to noise AND performance). With that being said there are MANY good brands of fans out there and there is more good than bad and its hard to make a bad choice.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ST, I agree that theya re good cooler, I saw a lot of them in my carreer. My boner killer come because I saw a lot of the TT spin-Q dying fast so integrated fan just kicked out of my mind. Even if I know that zalman, while trying to come back in the game like before, will put better fan than TT. ButI ageree that OP sould concider it in the list for sure.

@ AKG, very nice comment you cover almost anything I think but you forget a little thing IMO, since the scythe GT's 1450 are back in stock now in america, OP should concider them. At full speed they are silencer than the R8 and are extremly great for everything that is heatsink or rad. Maybe it would be nice to review them here since I don't think it already have been done.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 10, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

I bought a few R4s a few months back...they look nice...they are noisy as hell!!!

Quote:
IF your mobo and case can accommodate the beast called the Noctua D14, it really is a no brainer as that thing w/ 3 high speed fans is simply INSANE at cooling (min is two fans and it stinks w/ one fan...thats why I yanked it from the charts). After that the Prolimatech Super Mega would be by next choice.
For mobo clearance, I assume (should I?) that NO heatsink on P67 1155 mobos are in the way EVER...it
My case is ATCS 840...lots of room...So you think the D14 is somewhat too heavy?
I'm never moving my computer around.

I would use the D14 with the original fans maxed out (well, there's resistors if need be)...

compatibility with Giga boards:
GA1155 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-PH67-UD3
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3
LGA1155 Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3H

LGA1155 Asus P8P67
LGA1155 Asus P8P67 Deluxe
LGA1155 Asus P8P67 EVO
LGA1155 Asus P8P67 LE
LGA1155 Asus P8P67 PRO
LGA1155
Asus Sabertooth P67

LGA1155 Asus P8P67-M Possible compatibility issues with video cards that have large protruding components at the back. Please see FAQ.

LGA1155
Asus P8P67-M PRO Possible compatibility issues with video cards that have large protruding components at the back. Please see FAQ.

Caution:
The NH-D14 is a big cooler that extends over the first RAM slots on most mainboards. The cooler offers sufficient clearance for all standard size memory modules, but you won’t be able to use memory modules higher than 44mm. Corsair Dominator DDR3 modules can be used if the top heatspreader is removed as shown here.

Type Manufacturer Model Compatibility Comment DDR3 Mushkin Blackline
DDR3 Mushkin Essentials
DDR3 Mushkin Proline
DDR3 Mushkin Redline
DDR3 Mushkin Ridgeback
DDR3 Mushkin Silverline

DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws

NO MENTIONS ABOUT RIPJAWS X...looks the same height.

Type Manufacturer Model Compatibility Comment DDR3 Corsair Value-Series
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
DDR3 Corsair XMS3 DHX Series
DDR3 Corsair XMS3 Dominator Compatible when the heatsink on top of the heatspreader is removed. Please take a look at our FAQ-entry. DDR3 Corsair XMS3 Dominator GT Compatible when the heatsink on top of the heatspreader is removed. Please take a look at our FAQ-entry. DDR3 Corsair XMS3-Series

It's expensive at $89...almost impossible to price match.....it was cheap at NCIX during Boxing day..

Any great sites other than pricebat.ca or shopbot.ca that give better PM results???
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)