Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need suggestions for VRM cooling

So I've been messing around with my X3440 on this H55 board. The temps on the VRMs are making me cringe, not to mention they emit a quiet, muffled coil whine which sounds like a hiss.
Right now I've got the chip at 3ghz on stock volts, but I honestly know this chip can go upwards of 3.6ghz fairly easily. (tried 3.8, got 10 passes on LinX, but the VRMs were burning up so I stopped) I'm pretty sure the heat factor is affecting the efficiency and should be the reason for the Vdroop that just gets bigger as I try to pump more juice. (haven't been able to put more than 1.3V into the chip)

I originally thought about replacing the board, but honestly their aren't very matx boards out there with USB3, the layout I want, and an 8 pin CPU connector, so I'm looking for an elegant VRM cooling solution. (that's going to be air cooled)

So far all I can find is this: Buy EnzoTech [MOS-C1] Enzotech MOS-C1 Exceptional Heat Dissipation for Integrated Mosfet Motherboards & Video Cards
Honestly I don't know if these things would do anything, these VRMs get so hot when I up the volts, I burned my finger touching one of the capacitors of all things.
I was also thinking of putting thermal pads on the underside of my mounting hardware, since they're basically just giant aluminum heatsinks, but that only takes care of a few caps and chokes.
Spotcool fans aren't an option due to space limitations.
Attached Images

Old December 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
Banned
F@H

the enzotech's are some of the best chip coolers you can get.
although, even aluminum ones or lesser ones,in that sense, would be much better vs none.

with decent airflow to noise ratio youll be fine. ive installed those and their predecessors on just about anything. they helped a lot on me giga 870a ventures :)

ps

Dimensions (mm)
6.5(L) mm x6.5mm(W) x12mm(H)

you may also look for a bigger solutions for the ones that are in a straight line
Old December 20, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How about this: Scythe "VGA Chip Heatsinks"

-Plato
Old December 20, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One off these

YouTube - Noctua NH-C14 Silent Heatpipe Heatsink Unboxing & First Look Linus Tech Tips

If you can squeez it in ?
Old December 20, 2010, 06:51 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
One off these

If you can squeez it in ?
You in love with linus or something? Too many youtubes...

Ill second the Enzotechs, the lil copper ones are great and cant be bent/modded as needed.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great, thanks guys I'll probably grab some of those enzos on my next NCIX order. I'll probably need 2 sets of the small ones and one set of the big ones.

One question though, with the included 3M tape are they difficult to remove without ripping out the mosfets? Just in case I would need to RMA, or give the sinks an acid bath before reuse.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:01 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Great, thanks guys I'll probably grab some of those enzos on my next NCIX order. I'll probably need 2 sets of the small ones and one set of the big ones.

One question though, with the included 3M tape are they difficult to remove without ripping out the mosfets? Just in case I would need to RMA, or give the sinks an acid bath before reuse.
If its a concern, take them off by twisting them slowly just after you turn off the system. The warm will make them easier to remove. FYI tho, once you remove one, you probably need to replace the tape - it normally rips or gets full of gunk easily.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like CM say, this tape is not really re-usable most of the time. Maybe order some spare at the same time? I don't know if NCIX carry some thermal tape but if they do, it might be worth.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 20, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dazmode store Canada Best Water Cooling Store

Has some fore sure.

Last edited by ZZLEE; December 20, 2010 at 09:16 PM.